1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebreathers, Differences?

Discussion in 'Rebreathers Closed and Semi Closed Circuit' started by Sidemount_Stu, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

OK, so this probably sounds (and probably is) like a stupid question..... but as a diver who knows nothing about Rebreathers.....

What are the differences between units????

I guess i kind of thought naively that the idea is straight forward, and the differences would be mainly in aesthetics, or size etc.... they are all designed to to pretty much the same thing.....

So how does somebody who knows basically nothing about them, get to learn what the differences are and how they might affect the diving etc.... how does one narrow down the choices, other than on budget?

This is a genuine question, i'm nowhere near buying, but i'm definitely interested in the longer term in maybe getting a Bereaver, but i know nothing and would have no idea where and how to start understanding enough, to help me narrow down choices etc....

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Are you only interested in eCCR (electronic) or mCCR (manual) as well?

Mainstream bereavers are all black, except the Inspo, which is yellow, unless it's black.

Deathboxes, like all scuba gear are fashion lead and the current Coco Chanel of random, unpredictable death seems to be the JJ; well built and running SW electronics (I think) you can see why.

The Inspo is the go to coffin filler of choice for people who want to stick their toe in the grave without spending their life insurance before they can actually claim it. They are relatively cheap (Under £1500 for a Classic with a fresh service, £3k-ish for a vision) and every one knows a bloke with a YBOD so getting help and advice is easy.
    Judging by j_b's exploits, the accessory of choice is a nice comfortable chair... ;)

At first glance, the JJ looks to be the machine most Inspo divers end up with after spending a fucktonne of money on upgrades.

Next up is the Revo, but I know less than fuck all about them.

Senttohells are undergoing a revival of sorts thanks to Vobster Marine taking on the service and development, but I think that the opportunity to grab a bargain while they are still unpopular is fast disappearing, so not much use to you.

The Poseidon is a non-starter too in my opinion; too restrictive in standard form and expensive to upgrade to a point where you can do dives that actually warrant a cobbled together box of bits with a huge price tag. Pre-packed scrubber can at £28 a pop? Who's stupid idea was that???

Please note, this in no way constitutes advice, you've got Google, get out there and do your own legwork...

3. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Seeing as you are all sidemounty there is also the SF2 which you can mount any way you like, also has SW electrics and looks cool. Has a bellows Clung in the body which is carbon fibre looking.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

... not the comfy chair!

Where does the Meg sit within that lot?

5. Doomanic

Staff Member

In the corner, sulking, 'cos the JJ has knocked it off the top spot.

Zubar likes this.
  6. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

then theres the not a trure rebreather but more than a semiclosed as in the hollis and the poseidon mkvi. Still not convinced as it real usefullnes vs money and faf. I hate faf i dont think im disciplined enough too spend ages looking after kit pandering to its every need only for the computer to say no.

7. Doomanic

Staff Member

That looks interesting but I can't see a. a price, b. if it is CE and c. if a BOV is available. Doesn't look to have a HUD either.

8. Doomanic

Staff Member

Hollis do both an SCR and an eCCR, the Stormtrooper (Explorer) is an SCR and the Prism2 is an eCCR.
    Poseidon only do eCCR; the Mk VI, now discontinued, and the Se7en. AFAIK, both use the frankly laughable sealed scrubber cannister (did I mention they were 28 quid each?) and are quite restrictive with regards to depth progression, requiring new battery modules at each step.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For us simple folk who've not done a PhD in breavers....

Scrubber canister: the thing that absorbs the CO2 which is full of "sonoflime" (brand name for soda lime). What's the alternative to paying £28, how many do you need, how long do they last, are they safer than filling your own, is it hard to fill your own??? Etc.

Meaning that you can only dive to, say, 30 metres, then must 'upgrade' the battery to dive to, say, 50 metres, then upgrade again to dive to 90 metres?

10. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

It's about 7grab all in back mount with mavs. Made in Gremany, think it is CE.

11. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Self packing is fairly simple but has to be done correctly or you'll die.

Spot on with the battery's. They are a programme/software module with a depth limit.

12. Doomanic

Staff Member

As I understand it, one of the PADI requirements for "Recreational Rebreather" was a modular scrubber canister to reduce the chance of a novice diver mis-packing the scrubber and dying a horrible fiery death from a CO2 hit.

It costs about 8 quid to fill an Inspo scrubber for similar dive times to the Mk VI.

If you have a Mk VI, you also need to update the lungs to go deeper than 48m...
    http://www.poseidon.com/products/rebreathers/smart-batteries

13. Doomanic

Staff Member

I like the internal CL, not so keen on the price.

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Scrubbers: do you not need several, or do most rebreathers just use a single cannister?

Regarding packing them, isn't it a case of tipping away the old lime (must be a sod to dispose of), then pouring in a new lot and tamping it down (like a barrister in a coffee shop).

(For some reason I was under the impression that some rebreathers had as many as three cannisters, but I expect I'm confusing them with the O2 sensors)

And finally, am I alone in wondering why anyone would want a Stormtrooper or other "recreational" rebreather -- if ever there was an oxymoron, it's that. As I see it, the purchase costs are astronomical (compared with OC), the running costs are astronomical (compared with OC), the maintenance effort is astronomical (compared with OC)... And the thing still emits bubbles as it's not a true closed circuit rebreather, but a "semi closed circuit" rebreather.

15. Doomanic

Staff Member

:facepalm: I think you mean barista...
    Barrister;
    [​IMG]
    Barista;
    [​IMG]

furryman likes this.
  16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is there a difference? I've been working too long in Fleet St...

(interesting the resemblance of the top photo to someone around here...)

17. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I guess I'm loosely aware of the current hierarchy in preference, but am now interested in understanding the reason for it?

Why is a JJ currently the unit of choice? What makes it more desirable than say a Meg or an Inspiration Vision etc?

I understand there is this order of preference, but I don't understand what makes each "better" than the other?

There is a big difference in pricing between the lower units on the list and some of the others... What an I getting for the extra money if I choose to spend on the higher models etc?

18. Doomanic

Staff Member

TBH mate, there isn't the depth of knowledge on here to answer this question satisfactorily.

Sidemount_Stu likes this.
  19. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Now then Dom, you know the rules of internet forums - spout wisdom and claim all sorts of knowledge from the other side of the keyboard. Nobody know who you really are, after all.:bookworm:
    or do they?...:wideyed:

Sidemount_Stu likes this.
  20. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

There are four unit types
    O2, semi closed. Manual and Electronically controlled set point.

The 2 main unit types are manual set point management. Basically you manually inject O2 to keep set point (ppo2)

And electronic where the unit monitors the set point and injects O2 as and when needed. Most ECCR units can also run manually.

There are now lots of units on the market the 3 top units are MEG, JJ, and the inspection

The MEG has a huge fan base with deep and cave divers and is the unit I dive. It has chest mounted lungs so ease of breathing is some of the best in the business. but does cause the chest area to get a little cluttered. The unit is bullet proof there are vids with Leon (CEO of inner space the manufacturer ) cutting lumps out of the lungs and still diving.

The JJ is or was the new kid on the block it has a growing fan base the lungs are back mounted and so looks more DIR. Build quality it's quite that of the meg but it is a lovely unit to dive.

The inspo the work horse been around for years has a huge following.

BK