1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper Introduction

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Chorse, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Chorse

Chorse New Member

Greetings divers, new to ukdivers, wanted to introduce myself since I did not do it properly with diveforum. I can be considered an old fossil, 62 but in reasonable condition. Retired with a healthy interest in diving. I prefer warm waters, 80f, but the budget and where I live dictates I usually dive 40-60f depending on the season. I most always use Fahrenheit rather than Celsius or Kelvin for temps above or below the surface because of a poor public elementary education. My parent's fault certainly.
    I dive wet when the water is above 55f and dry with an Otter Britiannic MK2 MTM below that. Belong to a storied dive club called the Northshore Frogmen, we have about 35 wonderful lady members that have not lobbied to have the name changed, Yet. We have photographers that love Nudi Branchs. Tiny little buggers that are too small for me to find. I prefer the New England lobster and scallops, much easier to located and eat. Well hello and warm Regards, Chorse

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome, Chorse - only 62, still a young man compared with me.:whistling: Fahrenheit is still good in the land of the free but, although brought up on it, I've made the change-over, so struggle. I too like warm water diving but have started diving in the UK that is easier to dive in a dry suit all year - last January I tried out my own kit for the first time in 7c, about 40f.

3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Hiya. Love the club name.

4. Chorse

Chorse New Member

JohnL, thanks for the response. Looking forward to visiting the UK someday and checking out the Otter Factory among other institutions. Cheers!

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome. Nice to see others taking an interest in subaquatic adventures, especially the other side of the pond (Atlantic). Often wonder how different diving would be in the North East US; different rules, customs and kit. Sea diving here gets down to about 7 degrees / 44F, so not as cold as the Scandinavians in the Baltic, but still pretty cold. 280 degrees Kelvin sounds too hot;)

What sort of boats do you dive off of? Ours are typically 35 feet and have some shelter for the 10 to 12 divers. Diver lifts are quite common. RIBs are quite common too, especially for clubs.

6. Chorse

Chorse New Member

Commercial dive operators use 30-40 feet boats with shelter for 10 divers, equipment and a dive coordinator or two. Don't see to many if any rib configurations a substantial investment that can't carry enough divers to make it worthwhile I assume. The dive charter boats have fishing excursions when times are slow. Lobster, scallops and wreck diving off the charters boats is common when the water temps are above 50f. Any colder we tiptoe in from shore in the Northeastern section of the States. Speaking strictly for myself and everybody else I know. Generally the fee for a typical charter boat two tanks dive is 80-100 dollars. Equipment and cylinders would be additional.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For UK diving there's a lot of clubs with RIBs that go out. These are often towed around and launched at the dive sites.

Commercial boats tend to be around the same size at 30 to 40 feet, with some catamarans which give a lot of space on the back deck. Most seem to have space for 12 divers as this probably gives the right mix of numbers for the income and control of costs. Frequently there's only the skipper, sometimes there's a mate to help out.

Our typical boat cost is from £40 to £60 for one or two dives ($50 - $80), frequently one dive with a drift. Our tides are pretty complex, particularly around the south coast where in some places there's 4 high tides a day (around Southampton) or where motoring a few miles can get the next slack water in 4 hours (normally it would be 6h 12m between slack waters -- around Dover).

Commercial boats are pretty hands-off regarding the diving, leaving it up to the divers to plan and execute their dives and ensure they have the right kit and experience for the dive in hand. Solo diving is quite common. Very few of them rent kit and you can struggle even to borrow weights. Some, ~10%?, will have compressors on board, so you normally have to bring your own kit and gas for the trip.

Depending on the type of trip, you can have a long time on the dive. For the more technical dives -- and even shallower ones -- they're happy enough with a 90 minute or more runtime. Boats out of popular locatoins such as Swanage and Portland often do "shuttle" dives which are aimed more at recreational dive profiles, say 45 mins total on depths of 15m/50ft to 30m/100ft where you get on the boat kitted up, do the dive, return to base, then climb off with your kit ready for the next trip's divers. Most "non-shuttle" diving is in the 30m/100ft to 60m/200ft range with some diving down to 75m/250ft which will tend to attract mostly rebreather divers.

I guess one big difference would be that no tipping is done nor expected.