1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with new mask...and toothpaste

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by newbie27, Mar 25, 2010.

1. newbie27

newbie27 New Member

Ok, I have read the threads on removing the manufacturers seal stuff.

So I duly put a little totthpaste inside and outside all over the lenses. Left it then rinsed it off, however I'm really struggling to get rid of the smears from the toothpaste and also am worried that the mask will still fog up as it does if I wear it.

Leaving for madagascar tomorrow.....!!

Any tips appreciated!

Also any tips for naming a scubapro everflex, and also my mask and snorkel as a permanent marker doesn't seem to work on them.

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

When you put the toothpaste on, did you rub it or just leave it? You really need the abrasive action of rubbingto do the work for you.

Also, when rinsing, wipe it around with your fingers to clean off the gunk.

3. newbie27

newbie27 New Member

Pretty sure I did rub it in as needed to smear it around the lenses.

Did that too...

I have got baby shampoo also to take with me, shall I have a go with that when I get there?

4. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

As JB says rub the toothpase vigorously round the inside of the lenses to scrub the protective coating remaining from the manufacturing process off the glass.

Rinsing under the tap and rubing with a finger will remove most of the toothpase - or use an old toothbrush to get into areas your finger won't reach.

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I only ever use toothpaste, never used shampoo or soap. I prefer the white paste toothpaste and not the gel type. My favorite thing at the minute is a substance called 'Barkeepers friend'. Frickin' awesome but make sure you rinse it out properly as you wouldn't want it in your eye.

6. newbie27

newbie27 New Member

Maybe I'm being too gentle then, was worried about scratching the lenses! It is white paste waitrose whitening stuff.

7. Jenkins

I have heard people on here say you shouldn't use whitening toothpastes but I do and have never had a problem.
    Standard glass has a harness equivallent to stainless steel, so I can't see anything you would trust near your tooth enammel being abrasive enough to do much damage.

IME it often takes afew attempts to get all the coating off, infact I (or rather my instructor) resorted to Ajax :eek:hmy: when my new mask kept fogging up! - Not that I recommed it, as the small of lemons lingered for months:thumbdown:

8. newbie27

newbie27 New Member

Ok fine, will have another go this evening and then could always do it again when I get there before my OW dives. Do you leave the toothpaste overnight?

That must have been rather off-putting!

Any ideas about marking equipment?

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I myself would specifically use whitening toothpaste given the option as that's more likely to have an abrasive ingredient in it.

No need to leave it overnight as it's the rubbing that does the work.

10. newbie27

newbie27 New Member

Thanks everyone, glad I asked. Definitely haven't done it properly!

Any ideas about marking equipement?

11. Jenkins

Fins are easy to mark with a bog standard marker pen on the coloured plastic, it will fade eventually but is cheap and easy to re-apply. Fins really do need marking as they are easily confused especially when boat diving.

TBH most of my other gear isn't specifically marked but has distinctive lanyards etc so that I can easily identify mine.

12. newbie27

newbie27 New Member

Thanks, I've marked my fins but the pen wouldn't write on my mask strap!

Going with a group of people so don't want to get muddled, my mask is clear and so is snorkel, also lots of people seem to have the scubaprio everflex wetsuit!

13. Jenkins

One option with your mask is to get a coloured neoprene "slap strap" which is distinctive and makes your mask easy to recognise - especially handy if like me your mask is all black. In the past I have ID'd my snorkel with just a cheap coloured hairband round the top. This won't stop theft but makes it easy to avoid honest mistakes.

Regarding your wetsuit, how about a coloured loop of cord on the zip pull?
    I have written on the insides of suits in marker pen, but it's a PITA if the pen decides tattoo your name and phone number (in reverse) on your body :eek:hmy:

14. newbie27

newbie27 New Member

Unfortunately mine is black....
    hair band is a good idea as is the wetsuit cord pull, will try and get a coloured showlace of something at lunchtime! Off this afternoon!
    Yes, was a bit worried that marker pen would end up all over me!
    Think I'm going to have to put my dive stuff (wetsuit, mask, snorkel) in the hold fingers crossed it will all get there!.

15. Jenkins

I always pack my mask in hand luggage, all the rest normally goes in the hold.

With an all black mask I would definatly recommend a brightly coloured neoprene strap cover. These have a vairety of benefits but with a black mask, also mean that if/when you drop your mask it is brightly coloured and can be seen (so hopefully not stood on and broken, or simply lost).

16. newbie27

newbie27 New Member

Mask is clear, strap cover is black. Thanks though.
    How do you pack your mask as mine came in a plastic box and that takes up so much space!

17. Dougalsdad01

Dougalsdad01 Active Member

Just to come back to your original post for a moment, I put my mask in the dishwasher. Not only does it remove the film but with older masks it removes the black mould that creeps in eventually. It sounds extreme (no more extreme than Axax or Jif cream cleaner) but it's never damaged my masks and they've had several washes over the years.

18. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I take it out the box and pack it in with regs with bottom timer (Computer) and compass.

Regs form a big circle and the other stuff in the middle.

19. Jenkins

With hand luggage (infact with ALL luggage) it's always weight rather than space which defeats me, so taking mask in box is not a problem.

20. newbie27

newbie27 New Member

Def will try the dishwasher option if it gets mouldy or I have to replace it!

Weight and space are defeating me. Not got regs and computer is in my hand luggage so shall I wrap my mask in my wetsuit?