1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-sale crack bottle excitement!

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Tribal Chestnut, Aug 12, 2019 at 11:16 AM.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I need to have a bit of a clear out and one of the items that has to go is (was!) my old crack bottle DSMB.

I bought this sometime ago and it has sat in a drawer being annoying for a few years now.

Way back when, I used to operate it following the standard protocol of my old PADI club - crack it right open and let it fly....

I’ve known the drawback of this method for a while now so I thought that, prior to selling it, it would be prudent to carry out a few ‘tests’ to ensure the fucker was not rotting from the inside.

The bottle was attached to a full fifteen litre of mine, which was then opened up. I gently opened the crack bottle a smidgen.....and it held. Fucking brill thought I, as I very gradually increased the pressure.....suddenly BANG, not so fucking brill now.

Oh well. At least I’m not stuck having to refund some poor sod that I might have sold it to, or having to explain to a coroner how it was just a simple accident that the buyer ended up with a crack bottle embedded in their bonce.

Attached Files:

NickPicks, kingo1984, Wibble and 5 others like this.
  2. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Did the valve just pull out of the threads of the aluminium?

3. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

The threaded section of valve is still in the bottle, obviously the bond between thread & bottle was stronger than the valve itself.

4. MadUKDiver

MadUKDiver New Member

Wow, that's unusual. Normally any sea water that gets into the bottle creeps into the threads and, when the valve is unscrewed, the threads are damaged and the bottle must be scrapped. The valve thread breaking like that would typically be due to a drop shearing the thread or excessive force exerted on the brass when unscrewing a jammed thread.

Glad you found this in a controlled test, could have been very nasty.

Plans are being considered to remove the exemption for small cylinders which might make these rather less popular when they need a formal test every 2.5 / 5 years.

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Since people trans fill from an existing cylinder rather than asking a shop to fill them I can't see that making any difference.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Isn't it a design flaw? As in there should be an, errm, regulator type thing that prevents water ingress below, say, 10 bar? Something like a spring valve? That then means it can't fully empty even when opened fully on the bottom.

Always hated those things. Glad I sold mine. Hopefully @jps still has both hands.

7. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

On the good ship Huskyan, we have a 15l cylinder kept full for people to charge these things. We ask people to fill them with their crack bottle pointing out to sea for exactly this reason.

NickPicks likes this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is that failure mode common?

9. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

No, but once is enough!

10. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Sooner use the suit inflate, but we don't want to practice one-handed disconnects and reconnects...