1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portland Harbour 28th & 29th May 2008

Discussion in 'Dive Buddy Finder' started by Bucks, May 27, 2008.

1. Bucks

Bucks New Member

Is anyone interested in diving some of the wrecks in Portland harbour 28th & 29th May from an inflatable boat, I am a solo diver/photographer, so am ideally looking for another solo diver or a buddy pair so that we can be boat cover for each other. costs are minimal to cover harbour fees & fuel etc.

2. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Wish I could but sorry... booked

3. purple vonny

purple vonny New Member

If you book on one of the hard boats instead of using yours, some skippers may let you dive on your own.

I went for a dive today in the harbour (solo, but I work for the boat!!) and had a great time. The vis is clearing up and so is the plankton.

I took these as a taster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was more like the Med than Portland Harbour!!

4. sira

sira New Member

Great pictures PV, good to hear the harbour is clearing up a bit.

5. Tom

Tom New Member

Wish I could, but alas too far for me, great pics PV, im afraid the north sea is a bit choppy at the moment and the vis is naff, but we can live in hope. we need lots of west winds.

6. purple vonny

purple vonny New Member

Oh and I forgot, you need a permit from the harbour master to dive in the harbour.

7. Bucks

Bucks New Member

None of the boats are going out, due to no divers the next couple of days, otherwise I would have booked on one, if we do get the inflatable out I know about the licence.

8. Deano The Diver

Deano The Diver New Member

What camera did u take pics with?

9. Woody

Woody New Member

Wow! anyone going again this Sunday?

10. Bucks

Bucks New Member

This is a bit belated,
    I got to do a few dives in the harbour, the weather cleared up for a few days so we took the inflatable out with my wife & daughters acting as boat cover, I had a few fantastic dives, it was so good i had one dive on the Countess that was 10 minutes short of 2 hours.

Below are a few images, they look a bit messy as I dont know the best way to add images.

11. purple vonny

purple vonny New Member

I love those photos. Glad you made it!

12. Dougalsdad01

Dougalsdad01 Active Member

I'm available 28th/29th May. I've never dived the harbour before.

13. Bucks

Bucks New Member

Sorry, the 28th & 29th May 2008 referred to last year, but I'm sure there will be plenty of others diving there this year, I'm hoping to go again sometime this year but I dont know when yet.

Sorry bringing up this old thread might cause a bit of a misunderstanding with dates.

14. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

oooh look, dad of the dougal can travel in time!!

15. Bucks

Bucks New Member

We might get down again this Easter for a week around Portland harbour & Torquay etc, if anyone fancies meeting for a dive or few.

Can any regulars advise to what the sea state & viz is usually like that time of the year? up till last year we always went to NW Scotland around the Easter holidays diving the sea lochs, as you could always guarantee to get in & get 6-8m viz, but it is Bl**dy cold up there at that time of year. I could not believe how much warmer it felt wen I dived Torquay & Porthkerris last Easter.