1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Poll] How long would you expect a top-of-the-line computer to last?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by drfostergloucester, Oct 7, 2018.

?

How long would you expect a top-of-the-line computer to last?

1. 1 - 2 Years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3 - 4 Years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 5 - 6 Years

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. 7 - 8 Years

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. 9 - 10 Years

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. Over 10

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  1. drfostergloucester

drfostergloucester New Member

Just a quick poll here for interest...

Say one bought a top of the line computer (thinking OSTC / Shearwater etc), provided from the outset it had a feature set rich enough to do any diving you see yourself doing for the foreseeable future if not ever, how long do you think it would be before an upgrade was due or the device was no longer functioning?

I'm possibly in the market to buy a new computer and was thinking OSTC MK2. It's a bit beyond what I need right now but might not be in a few years time however if people reckon I'll be wanting to upgrade in 4 - 5 years time, the cost becomes less justifiable as I could just buy an expensive one when I need it and use a cheaper one for now.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Personally, I'd expect computers of that calibre (Sharwater, OSTC) to be reliable and should last for years. Certainly I expect my Shearwater to see me to the end of my diving days as it supports "standard" Buhlmann with Gradient Factors.

Similarly I'd expect them to do me for all my *open circuit* diving career and also for bailout / backup duty when I move to CCR. Simply because there's no connection between the box and the computer, one can't expect it to precisely monitor your gas (although it will calculate to a certain setpoint).

I only know the Shearwater, but the connected version of that is used in many CCR systems - JJ, Meg, Revo... These companies wouldn't choose a duff system.

The OSTC has a very good reputation; can't recall anyone complaining about one.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

If you buy something that can handle trimix, accelerated decompression and CCR there is not really any NEED to upgrade to anything “better”, that’ll cover your needs for the foreseeable like Wibble says

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

If it's an X-Deep, one to two dives...

jb2cool likes this.
  5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

He said top of the line

6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

It had a premium price tag...

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Current OSTC models can have (free) firmware updates as the software evolves and a computer bought with HWOS Sport (nitrox) and can later be upgraded to HWOS Tech (trimix/CCR).

8. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I expect all well-made (but then also well-maintained) dive gear to last 10 years unless it is really heavily used and battered in caves or confined spaces. In my experience, torches are the most likely things to fail. (n.b. I don't count hoses and o-rings etc which fall into maintenance).

After 10 years I normally want some thing shinier anyway, or the a science has moved on.

I still regularly use (though only in shallower dives) a set of regs and a BCD which are about 20 years old. They don't look it though and are well cared for.

9. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

... Ps some of these items are like Trigger's broom....

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

11. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I currently have an Apeks Quantum. I think they made it in 2004, so it's lasted 14 years so far.

Apart from the pressure sensor going a bit wonky once when the battery was starting to get low, it's been fine.
    Oh, and the strap is looking a bit perished too, but thet's why it's also got some bungee strapped around it.