1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perspective

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Cybes, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Until recently most of my dives have been from a boat. It takes you to the mark or anchors near it. In you go to the shot or buoy, rope up and down and follow the reef / bottom, not a problem

All of my recent dives have been from shore, have involved a sub-surface swim out, then down to the wreck. The swim has been deep enough to see and follow landmarks on the seabed whilst being shallow enough to conserve gas. The viz has been excellent, approx 20m to the bottom and swimming at 10-15m.

Being able to see passed my nose was a novelty as was the feeling of flying above the seabed.

What surprised me was how erratic my depth control became without a physical reference. This highlighted an issue with buoyancy that I didn't know I had. I think I've been getting comfortable diving slightly negative and that I've been subconsciously correcting with my breathing pattern. Without that reference I've found myself first low then high as I over corrected.

Now I know, I can work on it. I suspect the hardest part will be getting used to being truly neutrally buoyant midwater. Separating the feeling of floating with that of ascending. I thought I had already sorted this out, but obviously had been fooling myself.

2. snowman

snowman Active Member

I think, even if your buoyancy is pretty decent, that diving with no references can be quite disorienting.

I sometimes find that I think I'm ascending or descending, in such cases, only to find out that if I am it's only by very small amounts.

It's not a common feeling, but it's certainly a strange thing to be diving with no idea of up, down, left of right!

M.