1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pee zip/valve

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by scoobydo, Oct 23, 2015.

1. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

Do all pee zips fail? All the reviews of them seem to sujest this,so most people opt for the valves system ,any views on this as I am getting fed up with having to get unzipped to go for a pee ,especially now winter is on the way

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

They're different things, like comparing a sunroof and air conditioning.

The fly zip is really convenient (pun intended), particularly if you're going off a RIB, but any time it's cold and you're out of the water.

The pee valve is, obviously, for use in the water. It needs the additional hassle of plumbing in, but is worth its weight in gold cos there's nothing word than facing a pee in a drysuit.

My fly zip has been very reliable except when I neglected to wax the zip and like all dry zips, leaked. I've ordered one in my next suit, currently in manufacture. I also have a pee valve specified.

3. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

Wish I had a zip fitted to my suit which I probably will do now ,as for the valve doesn't it feel weird having fitted to your togger?

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

My last suit had the zip fitted and I found it annoying and added the p-valve. When the zip became unreliable it was removed.

My current suit has only the p-valve and it transforms your attitude to fluids whilst diving. Fitting the catheter feels uncertain at first but soon becomes second nature. When plumbed in you can drink freely without concern about the need for relief so can you drink as you like and relax as you please. No more turning down that drink to avoid the price later or joining the rush to the toilet, or side of the boat, before the next dive. I would never again be without one.

scoobydo and Sidemount_Stu like this.
  5. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

+1 Exactly this... It positively encourages the good practice of maintaining hydration levels.... Catheters are no problem providing you maintain the correct personal trim state.... I wouldn't be without one now.

scoobydo and Pete Spencer like this.
  6. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

I am certain i will look Into this over the next week cheers

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Look for Rochester Wideband (if you're a bloke). Rest of the P-valve is much of a muchness, normally of the balanced variety.

scoobydo likes this.
  8. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

I guess you only use them once then through away?

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That's it. About £3 a go. Does last all day.

Big issue is sizing:) if it's wrong it'll leak.

10. Dave Whitlow

£3? just over £50 for a box of 30 you mean

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My mistake, I thought it was 20, d'oh.

12. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Half way through my OW qualification in Christal, Norwich (thanks, guys enjoyed your training), about to do the open water dives in Madeira, I decided that my rule No.1 was that I wouldn't dive anywhere that needed a dry suit. This thread just underlines my view - catheters? Yuk!
    Of course, I'm no longer in paid employment so I don't have to husband my holiday entitlement.

13. Dave Whitlow

Each to their own. Living in the UK I find diving in UK waters pleasing and convenient and do so quite often :)

Weather is fine tomorrow so it looks like we are diving again. Clearly drysuit diving and I'll probably end up with a sack of scallops. Life can be hard.

Dan Payne likes this.
  14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Just to clarify, these are sheaths with some glue to make sure they stay put. They're then connected to the pee valve hose.

Drysuits are great in colder waters not least because they're warm!

15. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

well I gave othree a ring this morning asking about the p valve, lady said if I could get it to them within an hour they could fit it for me ( usually a two day wait), well three hours later all done !! just couldn't use the suit today just to make sure the glue had set off ok which was no worries, so another happy customer

16. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

also somewhere here there was a company that sends free samples or a guide? apart from Rochester widebands

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Rochester will send you a todger measuring device. It's just a bit of card which has the 5 sizes. Underwater Explorers, opposite O3, sell singles (I think). Aquanauts definitely do.

18. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

Dam I was in othree today ,didn't go into underwater explorers :wideyed:

19. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Had a pee valve fitted to my suit when I bought it. Still yet to pee yet though. I'm sure it will be wierd the first few times :-0

20. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

Samples arrived with the guide ! Going to try it out tomorrow just need to get a syringe for cleaning