1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pearl harbour shipwrecks

Discussion in 'Shipwrecks' started by divebuddy323, Feb 16, 2011.

1. divebuddy323

divebuddy323 Member

im wondering im watchiing pearl harbour at the mo (class film)
    was jus wondering can u dive the ship wrecks there?
    and how deep are they?

would like to know if anyone has got any stories if theyve been im all ears,

li

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd have thought that they have mostly or even all been raised due to the need to keep the harbour open. I'll have a root around and see what I can find.

EDIT
    Still active US naval base so no diving unless you are diving on behalf of the US navy.

3. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The only ones still there, I believe, are the USS arizona and the utah. If you try diving them they will quite literally arrest you, and if the US Navy get hold of you first, then christ help you because they'd tear you apart. US Navy ships still put all their men on the rail to salute the arizona when they go past. Once you have seen the memorial there you won't want to dive it anyway. They are unbelievably passionate about honouring and protecting their war dead. It's something I admire and respect the Americans for.

http://pacifichistoricparks.org/phh.php

4. indyblade

indyblade Member

Got to agree with garf on that one, and not just the war dead they seem to honour all that die in the line duty,

tony

5. Badger

Badger Member

I seem to remember from a documentary that there is a glass bottom viewing platform over one of the wrecks. Funny how there are no restrictions on diving the Japanese wrecks (that I am aware of)

6. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the Arizona. the restrictions are in place because Pearl Harbour is still an active military base and the wrecks are sunk are in territorial waters. Teh vast majority of Japanese wrecks are in the open seas (and a couple of miles of water tbh).

7. Badger

Badger Member

I once worked with an instructor who had been involved with a commercial sea cucumber 'farm' in the Marshall islands. Whilst doing some work on the sea floor they found the remains of a RJN sub that were previously unrecorded. Pretty cool.

8. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

Arlington Cemetary and the Guard of Honour is extraordinary.