1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PADI specialities? which are good and which are not?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Carl Pearce, Jun 11, 2012.

1. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

PPB (Peak performance bouyancy), Deep, Navigation and Nitrox. AOW will give you a good introduction to all 4. You can then use the AOW dives towards each speciality as and when yuo are ready.

2. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

The specs all depend on what you want to do and of course the instructor. Although the dives in AOW can count as dive 1 of the spec I would still do the required number of dives you cant have enough practice. If you are very keen on doing the specs then go ahead so deep for insurance purposes and nitrox as you will need this if you want to use it or go further down the tech route at some point. If you want digital photography then some of the courses offered by underwater photographers may be more suitible. If you wanted to combine the PADI spec with more info on underwater photos then get your school to contact Maria Munn you can get a course catered towards your specific camera. I know the guys I dive with found this very helpful and got them of the underwater mode.
    Drysuit for this country ask if you can do the AOW in a drysuit and combine the certs for a discount its fairly common way of doing it.

3. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

If you wanted to do the AOW course in a drysuit how is it possible to hire a DS if you haven't the DS ticket. My plan was to to do AOW on an ad hoc basis. That is over a long period of time between "fun dives".

4. snowman

snowman Active Member

I suspect they'll rent you a dry suit for a course (assuming you can demonstrate control in it) or they'd combine the DS spec with the AOW course doing a couple of extra dives (or maybe even dual purposing some).

M.

5. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

pi
    They hire the drysuit to you and arrange the confined water session then you do the drysuit dive 1 spec as one of the dives and then tag on a few skills to another dive infact the drysuit spec is often done as the PPB so you dont lose out on the other 2 chosen dives.

6. Cat276330

Cat276330 New Member

I agree with everyone on here do your AOW and then deep and nitrox. I also did drysuit, but thats as i learnt in warm water and got to rescue without ever needing to use a drysuit.

7. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

There was a comment on here earlier about dual purposing some of the dives during AOW. I thought PADI didn't allow this. to quote PADI manual.

" To preserve the learning experience,
    you cannot combine the performance
    requirements for two or more
    dives into one training dive."

Perhaps I misunderstood the point they are making.

8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I've just done Wreck and Deep in Malta, both useful courses IMHO .

9. Dennis Jacobson

Dennis Jacobson New Member

I would say advanced open water, also navigation, and peak performance buoyancy. Those are the real skill building classes. Others are more for personal interest or focused on a single type of diving.
    DivemasterDennis

10. Roy

Roy Active Member

You can't do more than one dives worth of skills in the same dive. e.g. The dry suit spec needs two dives with different skills on each dive, so you cannot do them all in one dive.
    However, the drysuit dive done on the AOW course is the same as dive 1 of the drysuit spec. So having done that you only need to do dive 2 to finish the spec.

11. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I did wreck and deep, very useful and I really enjoyed wreck more so than I thought. Made me look at wrecks in a different way I think.

I did that with OW and drysuit, just one extra dive. Same thing with deep & wreck I'd already done the first dive of each on on AOW so only had 3 dives of each to complete. I did do nitrox with wreck too - 2 of the dives on nitrox, tho could have done it dry as has been said before, my instructor preferred it wet lol :D

I will complete ppb in the same way too.

12. aquanaut

aquanaut Well-Known Member

OW. AOW, DRY SUIT .NITROX. DEEP. The rest i do not believe are really needed , PPB is there because the initial course you do is too short on time to teach you good buoyancy control, more time should be spent working on this to get to a better standard , it isn't which i think is a disgrace since it is one of the most important aspects of safe diving. Save your money. Anyone can learn good buoyancy by simply asking the question from divers that have there buoyancy sorted out and there are plenty out there . Then it is just practice practice practice. But if you enjoy these types of courses then hey go have fun.

becky9 likes this.
  13. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I'm intrigued with the remainder of PPB (did dive1 on AOW), I think my buoyancy is ok to good and my air consumption is a lot better than it was. They all could be better though, but a lot if that is practice as you say aqua. One of my regular buddies dropped 2kg after ppb, and thats where my inquisitiveness comes from. At present the idea of me dropping anything more than a kilo seems far fetched - and it might well be that as we are obviously starting from different points.

The usual replies I get about people dropping weight as they become more experienced seem vague to me almost as if people can't really put their finger on why - its not so much that there is scope for improvement that there might be scope for more than fine tuning - something that I just can't see where I am at present (thats not to say its not there, I'm just blind to it). If it is a case of fine tuning something then I'd imagine thats something we would all like to do.

Oh yeah theres that and the fact I have 4 specs, rescue at the end of the month and closing on 50 dives lol - that could be another reason :D

14. Andy Stevenson

Andy Stevenson Administrator

Where are you doing rescue Becky?

15. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Sunny Dosthill Andy ;)

With Scuba Shack (Wolverhampton), theres 5 of us doing it I think - 4 definately - 3 buddies of mine.

edit: Have to say I'm bricking myself about it!

16. Andy Stevenson

Andy Stevenson Administrator

Probably a bit too soon for me. I'm doing dry suit mid November. I'm not really keen on too much diving in the UK until I'm dry suited. Shame, I was hoping to get rescue done this year.

17. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

@Becky and Andy

both of you are relatively new divers. Do you mind me asking why you are cracking through formal training so quickly?

AOW I get as it gets you deeper but why rescue? Are you planning on going down the instructor route?

If it was me, I'd spend the money on diving and kit rather than giving it to PADI.

Doomanic likes this.
  18. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Big Si, is that you? :D

He has a point, what's the rush? I've been diving since 2008 and not done Rescue yet. Doubt I will either. Get out there, get wet, have fun.

hawk likes this.
  19. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I don't have any intention of going through the instructor route at present. I want to do the rest though and I've enjoyed everything I've done so far.

I've been spending money on everything kit, diving and courses. Yes its probably mad, but then thats me.

20. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I'm doing that Doom, perhaps not the way you would do it, but I'm doing it nevertheless.