1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Padi refresher or BSAC or RAID

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by rdavies86, Jun 28, 2018.

1. rdavies86

rdavies86 New Member

Hi

Looking for help

Having not dived for several years I am keen to get back into it and I know I need a good refresher or two.

I have been offered the above from RAID, PADI and BSAC...

I was originally a PADI open water diver and most of my planned diving will be uk diving with the plan to progress to advanced/sport level for some deeper wrecks.

Which do you all think I should go for?

Thanks

Richard

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Hi. Who do you plan on Diving with ? Have you already got mates Diving or will you be looking for people to dive with ? I would say at this level the agency isn’t that important (I know nothing of raid) but access to like minded buddies and on going training or mentoring are.

So if you have these choices in your area I’d visit them and see what they are about and what the future may hold.

I’m a BSAC’er so biased that way , if you’ve a good local , active forward thinking club in your area that may be a way to go.

rdavies86 likes this.
  3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Hi Richard
    I started with PADI - open water, then advanced open water. I took a BSAC Sports Diver qualification this year (very similar level to AOW) as I intended to start diving in UK and I felt that it added more depth than PADI, which is more geared around holiday divers IMO.
    BSAC is taught through club volunteers. It can be much slower than PADI, but not always - my experience was seven lectures on a weekly basis and, because the club was struggling with their training, the dives didn't happen and I completed them with a dive centre in Cyprus. I was lucky with the diving team there; a demanding instructor who took me through the required elements in detail.
    I've joined a BSAC club, which gives me people to dive with and a weekly pool night to try out kit. I'm just thinking of moving to a wing and I know that I'll have advice to hand. They have a rib and dive both locally and take it distance - they are in Islay this week. I've signed up for a liveaboard in Skye next year through another nearby club.
    For me, BSAC is proving a good route to get into UK diving but it has been slow - it took me a long time to find a decent club in my old area and, even then, they had training problems. The new club, in Cheshire is active and friendly.
    Best of luck, John

Tribal Chestnut and rdavies86 like this.
  4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

East Cheshire any chance ?

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum.

The main thing is to find like-minded people to go and 'play' with, having a club, be that a traditional BSAC style group, or an active local dive shop (LDS) is really important in your early diving career.

A review is the simple part. All agencies are pretty much the same in what they teach. For diving you need lots of practice with time underwater progressing your skills, clubs/LDS' provide this.

Where abouts are you based?

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

My home club is Hartford; the Skye trip is organised by East Cheshire.

Vanny likes this.
  7. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Are you on their Red Sea trip next April?

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

No, it's full now and I have to balance diving and management - one liveaboard without her a year is enough :joyful:. We might finally make it to the Azores in 2019 that has been on the list for some years.

9. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Get her taught to dive. That's what did. It was a difficult route ( for her not for me). She still doesn't have my enthusiasm, but does understand what I do and we still dive together (sometimes).
    If I dive UK, she sometimes comes along and takes care of the kettle and biscuits. Ask Wibble.