1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Padi OW - What Next

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by reefer, Jun 12, 2017.

1. reefer

reefer Member

I'm due to finish my PADI Open Water at the beginning of July.

I have found a BSAC club I want to join, having popped along to meet and have a chat. I'm told I am welcome to join up after the OW and I may be able to go on some dives with them.

My understanding is that I'd have to do some kind of transition / review initially with BSAC - no problem.

The suggestion was I just get out dive with BSAC initially on some day trips, then over winter do the Sports Diver theory and then practical stuff in the new year.

When I suggested I might do the AOW, they said this would certainly speed things up and I think they said this would open up more dives that I could go on with them from the start.

So onto my questions.

Is doing the AOW straight after OW too soon? I would be treating this as purely a foundation / baseline for my future diving with BSAC. I realise it would in no way make me advanced.

Incidentally, venue wise - what sort of depths would the AOW course take you to on the actual course? I know the ticket says up to 30 metres - but how deep do the instructors take you?

The reason I ask is because places like Blue Lagoon lake - are only max 11 metres - so perhaps that isn't a good provider to choose. Having said that - I'm not likely to want to go any where near 30 metres until I am more experienced.

cheers

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, yes and no :)

The BSAC club will love you with PADI OW as it saves loads of time doing basic training.
    As long as the place you trained (eg: UK) was similar to where the BSAC club is can just go
    diving and no need to do anything else. If on the other hand it was a warm-water course
    then it's common to do more training to do with local conditions. This would apply in the
    same way even if it was a warm-water BSAC Ocean Diver looking to dive the UK.

Ok so now onto round two and what course next and here's the problem.

While PADI OW and BSAC Ocean Diver are considered to be roughly the same, that's not
    the case with second level courses of PADI AOW & BSAC Sport. These are vastly different
    and a more accurate term for PADI AOW would be PADI "More" Open Water - yep doesn't
    have the same ring to it :)

Prerec for Sport Diver is PADI OW OR PADI AOW, yep BSAC don't rate it at all.

Yes you can do PADI AOW, but apart from getting 5x some dives in, it's debatable what you'll
    get out of it compared with the vastly superior Sport.

So bottom line IMO (i'm PADI and BSAC so objective) is that if you have time and the course
    is cheap (can be not much more than a 5 dive pack in some resorts) then go for PADI AOW.
    If on the other hand it's stupid money, just don't bother and save it for just going diving after
    you've completed your Sport Course :)

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

In answer to your question, I did AOW about ?8 dives after OW. I was taken to 30m or close on the course, which I did in Madeira. I also have taken Enhanced Air, which is not difficult but critical to understanding how to use Nitrox. This means that you can go on a recreational dive to 30m with more leeway on bottom time and, maybe, less stress on the body. Since qualifying, I've probably done one dive in three to 25 or 30m in warm water. The AOW gave me a lot more confidence but, as said above, it is only some theory and five dives.

Haven't found a BSAC club nearby that will communicate but want to dive in UK. Now, I need to learn how to dive a drysuit and launch an SMB and a few other skills and practice, practice, practice! Would it have been better to go the BSAC route from the start? Maybe, if I could find one suitable around East Anglia.:whistling:

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I took the AOW (Additional Open Water - it isn't advanced!) fairly soon after my Open Water back in 2012. It's a good thing to do as there's a lot of reinforcement and incremental learning.

Mine was taught to 25 metres-ish in the Mediterranean. This definitely doesn't prepare you for diving in the UK, but does lay the groundwork. It also gives you a few more dives under instruction to improve your skills.

All training helps improve ones skills, regardless of agency.

The good thing about BSAC is the club environment. Lots of ongoing training and support, etc. The challenge is finding the right club as they, just as in all walks of life, vary greatly-- c.f. @JohnL's comments.

UK PADI training is pretty good on the whole -- all the PADI outfits I've come across in the UK definitely go the extra mile. I couldn't imagine them doing a deep skill in a shallow puddle, they'd normally run the course in one of the deeper quarries.

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe for the deep dive you have to dive deeper than 18m. This doesn't have to be the full depth of 30m, 19m would ge OK. So if you did the course with Wraysbury or some other smaller diving lake/quarry where there isn't the depth available then they'll have to go somewhere else for that particular dive.

For info, I left it about a year (50 dives) between my OW and AOW and had done other courses like GUE Fundamentals and TDI Nitrox in between. I didn't get much out of the AOW as I went with a pretty crappy company as I picked this based on price rather than quality.

6. Alan Davies

Alan Davies Active Member

Hello I'm not an expert but I did my ow and ran the nitrox along side of this course for the safety factor as all depends on we're your diving as I do mostly sea dives and it two dives one after another with a break in between so les deco using nitrox and then I did my drysuit specialty as again sea diving so to me had to do these just to b able to start diving now I'm trying to get as many dives in as possible so I'm at the point we're I'm confident in my weight gear etc then I'll do my aow as when sea diving it's a bit restricted at 18m then u can think about what next again all depends on we're u intend to dive mine would b maybe drift specialty, rescue, deep, not decided as there all lots of money

7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's why Sport is so much better, it isn't a thin course bolstered by expensive specialties,
    it's inclusive of them :)

BSAC Sport includes (if you don't have them already) Drysuit, Nitrox, Rescue, Compass,
    Line-laying, FULL SMB/DSMB including mid-water deploy, redundancy, gas planning and
    the best bit, is a decompression grade.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Yep, that is the reason they have been digging that 5m wide pit at Wraysbury. When I was bored I used to amuse myself by seeing what depth I could find in there and the most I ever found was 15.6m. I gather they couldn't get any more of the same size concrete rings so any later additions will be a different size, if they even finish it!
    I'd suggest getting AOW as quickly as possible and find a decent BSAC club, go diving with them, and get started on Sports Diver course.

9. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

I have done PADI to rescue diver and BSAC to assistant instructor level so I think I can also be objective. If money is not the major issue then get the AOW done as that stops a lot of hindrance in dive trips especially of you are with a small quiet BSAC club. Then do the BSAC sports course as its a far better course and better sets you up for UK diving.

If Money is an issue forget AOW and do the Sports diver course, you will get far more out of it.

Wibble and clique like this.
  10. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Same here about 30 dives and drysuit training before my advanced and found it useless. Did drift nav and buoyancy

Nav was only good as assistant instructor showed me some good compasses techniques.

11. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I also left it a year but did only two dives in that time.

It went OW in Cyprus, 2 dives at Porthkerris, AOW in Egypt, Thistlegorm.

12. reefer

reefer Member

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I will probably look to do the AOW at a site nearish to Sheffield - I'm thinking 8 Acre or Stoney Cove. That cuts down on petrol and eliminates the need for a hotel overnight (as is the case if I was to go to Capernwray)

13. Alan Davies

Alan Davies Active Member

Heard good stories about stoney my mate lives in Dudley and goes there a lot brought all his gear there as well

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Stoney would be a good place to do it.

Big issue in the summer is parking, so you'll end up needing to lug your kit a few hundred metres. But it's good for you and why diving's a sport:)

15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I bought a cylinder from the shop - cheapest I've found and less than their website. Organised facilities - air fill, safety, entry points, counter for "wet" food and drink and pub. Downside is that it can get very crowded and, once the lower parking is full, it's hard work especially if you are carrying kit - something with wheels to transport it is necessary.

16. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Easy, pay a tenner for a reserved space on the lower car park.

If I was going there I wouldn't even get out of bed if I didn't have a space reserved.

17. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

But that's only if you are a member - which is another £30?

Personally I don't like Stoney and haven't been for about 2 years now - and the last few times it was midweek.

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Membership reduces the entrance from £20 to £13 and it's valid for 2 years. I've been there three times this year, so only one more visit to pay for the card.

19. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

And you still didn't book a parking space last time you were there!

splinter, Doomanic and Wibble like this.
  20. reefer

reefer Member

Which optional dives would be most beneficial for me to do on the OWA - given I will be joining BSAC club and wanting to dive UK waters and sea eventually?

I'm correct in thinking that the deep water dive and the navigation are both compulsory.

I realise I'm still not even OW qualified yet - but I'm OCD with planning and want to get a date in the calendar. :woot:

I'm thinking the following

PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy
    Surface Marker Buoy
    Photography (not for the photography skills, more for the inherent buoyancy required for it)

I appreciate some of this stuff is part of the BSAC curriculum, but I have to chose something!