1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OW with Wetsuit vs Drysuit

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by reefer, May 2, 2017.

1. reefer

reefer Member

Is there any benefit to doing the OW course in a drysuit ? This doesn't include the actual dry suit speciality ticket.

Or, would an OW course that is wetsuit only be just as good? (both courses are the same cost)

I will be wanting to do UK dives, therefore at some point I will be using drysuits.

The OW course that I am looking at that trains you in the drysuit as standard, do an optional upgrade to also include the dry suit speciality - I think its an extra £75. Is that worth adding as a bolt on? I see it as getting the ticket - so I can hire suits as needed , plus it also gets me an extra dive with an instructor..

Alternatively, could I not do dry suit as an option with the OWA when I do that later? (not sure if you get the ticket if you choose drysuit as an option with OWA)

2. snowman

snowman Active Member

I'd do it in a drysuit if you intend to mostly dive in UK waters.

The only advantage I can see to doing the speciality on top is that you'll get a card that will let you rent drysuits, but if you're diving in the UK, you'll want your own anyway.

So, I'd do the OW in a drysuit and buy your own ASAP.

M.

3. reefer

reefer Member

thanks.

I did assume if I was learning from the start in a dry suit, I would gain all the relevant info I needed safety wise. In other words, the dry suit speciality isn't going to provide any further relevant info other than the physical ticket. As you say, a dry suit is something I will likely end up buying for myself anyway.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I started out in warmer waters and did OW. I then tried to do AOW in a dry suit for the first time and cocked up that course, finishing it in water warmers. Then, I took a dry suit speciality. So, much time and money spent to get there. My advice is to get into a dry suit as soon as possible.

5. reefer

reefer Member

Thanks.

I assume if I learnt in a dry suit, reverting to a wet suit abroad wouldn't be a big issue?

6. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Correct

7. snowman

snowman Active Member

Although you may need to go on the getting into an out of a skin tight wetsuit course! :D

M.

JohnL likes this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Definitely the drysuit as there's extra to learn and master. A drysuit has a connection to your air which you inject into the suit as you descend. What goes in needs to come out as you ascend making you more buoyant so you need to 'dump' the air from the suit, which is the main challenge of diving in a drysuit.

Wetsuits are easier in comparison. But, IMHO, are a right pain to put on, are horrible to peel off, and you end up wet. They're fine in warm water, but in the UK drysuits rule the roost.

Daniel likes this.
  9. Alan Davies

Alan Davies Active Member

I did my ow two weeks ago in a 7mm semi drysuit in Plymouth 11 degrees found it not to bad was doing my dry suit with the ow but two days before I went they said they did not have a dry suit but doing the course now

10. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

So they said you could do it in the drysuit (and save money on a 'speciality' course), then 2 days before, said they didn't have a drysuit available, so you have to do the separate speciality later?

That sounds like a money making plan!

11. Alan Davies

Alan Davies Active Member

Yep and me so going to another club witch is cheeper than there knock down price excellent club as well