1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open water referral

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by egregious, Jun 4, 2017.

1. egregious

egregious New Member

My husband and I recently attempted the OW course in Thailand but for lots of boring reasons didn't complete. We're hoping to finish later this year in Malta as we have referral forms. I've emailed a dive school and apparently we will have to take the exam again. I was of the understanding that with a referral you could do all the theory and then do the practical elsewhere. Seems a bit odd. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks for reading.

2. LukeTheDiver

LukeTheDiver New Member

Basically, you do the knowledge reviews again. It's just to make sure you know what you're doing for both the dive centres assurances and yours!

Don't worry, if you've done it once you'll ace it the second time :)

egregious likes this.
  3. egregious

egregious New Member

Thanks for the reply. :)We didn't get a manual which is annoying and could do with revising a bit. I ordered one off Amazon pretty cheap over a month ago. It has not yet arrived:rolleyes:

4. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

What agency? PADI? Did you get access online?

5. egregious

egregious New Member

Yeah, PADI but no online access. We used their manuals. We were supposed to get an emailed manual once certified but er that didn't happen. :rolleyes: 2nd time lucky hopefully.

6. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Yeah. That is annoying (and not in line with standards!)

egregious likes this.
  7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I'm coming to the view that PADI instruction is variable across countries, dive centres and individual instructor. A UK instructor told me this week that UK was the best - well he would! My experience is UK - good, very good, Madeira - very good, excellent, Barbados - adequate. This is from OW, AOW, Drysuit and Enhanced Air qualifications.
    I wasn't that happy with Barbados, where I was keeping an eye on my daughter/son-in-law taking OW referral - they had put a lot of work in on the theory and confined dives and were fine; others on their course had not, one to the extent he did an ascent holding his breath from 10m and came on board the boat coughing blood. This was one dive centre in Barbados, others will be better or, heaven help us, worse.
    It's taken me a long time to suggest that the most important thing is to find the right dive centre - several people on the forum have dived in Malta, ask them for their recommendations.

egregious likes this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

OMG. That's terrible. Must have been a rapid ascent too -- and missed the safety stop.

9. egregious

egregious New Member

Yeah that's horrendous. We were really pleased overall with the one in Thailand though nothing to compare to. Though a manual would have been helpful to keep the knowledge fresh before we re try. Thanks for the replies all.