1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Water Final Exam

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by GB1, Feb 28, 2008.

1. GB1

GB1 New Member

I have a question:
    In the Open Water Final Exam (module 5), it is multiple choice out of 50 questions. How many do you need to get right to pass?
    Also if you fail, what happens? Does the Instructor explain the correct answers or do you take a re-test?

Any Instructors that can tell me, or give me the PADI guidelines on the issue. I can't find answer on PADI website.

This information is needed quite urgently.

Thank you in advance.

2. Smelix

Smelix New Member

It is a 75% pass rate, so you have to get 38 answers right. Your instructor should should then go through the questions on the test that you got wrong and then you will need to re-sit the test.

Alex

3. GB1

GB1 New Member

Thanks.

My friend got 6 wrong and missed 3 questions at the end as there was misunderstanding over this as Instructor wasn't there and student said don't answer after question 41 as these are Imperial questions and just repeat after Metric. (there are 50 questions in total)

Now has been told he's failed.
    Is that right.

4. GaryA

GaryA New Member

Interesting; Always difficult to make comments on individual cases without knowing both sides of the coin.

Normally;
    If you were given the original OW question booklet you would have taken final exam A or B. when it comes to questions on the RDP (questions 41-48) you will find the questions in Imperal and repeated in Metric. If your RDP tables are Imperial (you'll find this written on the RDP tables just to the left of table 1) you answer the imperal questions and answer the metric questions if you have the metric table. Questions 49-50 follow the metric RDP questions.

Your instructor should cover any questions you got wrong, (any non answered question are considered wrong). If you achieved less than 75% you should re-take the exam, either A or B depending upon which one is taken in the first instance.

All this is normally explained before you take the exam.

HTH

5. PeteStewart

PeteStewart Never wrong, but not always right

Theoretically, this is not a fail as he should have got 82% - 9 questions at 2% each wrong.

6. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

My own OW instructor told me that he would not fail me unless he thought that I had got the basic concept wrong. He said that if I was able to intelligently discuss the mistakes afterwards, he would accept it unless there were too many of them (he did not specify the number). As a matter of fact, I got well over 90% correct, but the instructor kept his word and considered mine as a clean sheet because of the discussion afterwards.

7. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

I would personnal say (not being an instructor) that if you could demonstrate to the instrcutor that you understand the concept of the question he would have to make a judgement call if you got say between 70%-75% it could be also down to nerves. I know i hate exams and over the years ive had to sit quite a few even if they are open book it still scares the cr@p out of me

8. Carlylove

Carlylove Member

Would you want to pass if you had a lacking in knowledge that could jeopardise you or anothers safety?

IMHO an explanation of the errors and a re-sit (if needed) should negate this.

If after an explanation of the errors does not rectify the students shortcomings more specific training should ensue.

9. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

In terms of the OW exam, below 75% the instructor may ask you to take a retest (Instructor descretion on this), 75% or above is a pass. However the instructor still has to go through all the questions ommitted or answered incorrectly until they are sure that the student understands those questions and answers fully.

10. GB1

GB1 New Member

Thanks everyone.
    I thought it seemed strange...but I will tell him.
    I guess not a huge problem, but the Instructor apparently used the words "dismal" to describe the result...but I said it was that bad so wanted some more advice.

Thanks again

11. Johnboy2007

Johnboy2007 New Member

Hey , i did mine with ssi , we also had 50 questions and were told that really we couldnt fail , even if we got everyone wrong he would work with us until they were all right and we understood the concepts. He said generally they never fail anyone in the ow as they will keep working with you no matter how long until you pass. The only people the "fail" are people who dont really want to be there in the first place for example a girl on my course was obv only doing it for her bf and she gave up i believe , not on the theory though i might add.

12. GB1

GB1 New Member

Yeah, I think he just has to re-do the test. Do a second test...not too difficult.

I have mine on Wednesday and then the final two dives on Sunday.

See how it goes...I'm just not that impressed by our instructor. He makes some (in my opinion) over the top comments....and well, the fact that I'm a teacher, doesn't help ha ha ha We are the worst students!!!

Be glad when it's done...it seems to be taking forever. A four day course has been drawn out over nearly 1 month now.

13. Johnboy2007

Johnboy2007 New Member

Im no expert but that seems ridiculous. We had varying degrees of confidence in our group but everyone who stuck it out passed with flying colours. One of those people had a panic attack and flew to the surface. After realising he was ok and taking it easy with him he passed and did just as good or better than the others in our course. And hes continued diving. Suppose its the level of instruction that you recieve , once again im no expert and have only done my OW but you can tell it was top quality instruction. Just over a month later iv just done my 19th dive so suppose that speaks for the instruction itself!

14. GB1

GB1 New Member

Like I say....I'm not impressed with the instructor. The time factor is due to working constraints...however there has been alot of 'wasted' time at the pool. The instructor keeps going out for a smoke...we're left waiting around.

The teaching is good...he takes it slow and repeats anything we don't understand...but it is the small stuff when we are not in the water that is starting to irritate me.

I was going to do another few courses with him, but now, I just want to get my course finished and forgotten.

15. Johnboy2007

Johnboy2007 New Member

Yep you live and learn, like i said im far from an expert but from what iv picked up there are great instructors and some people who just shouldnt be in that position. Just gotta keep your eyes open

16. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

I think something like this is rather different from a few mistakes in the theory test. Most good instructors tend to analyze the situation following a trainee's panic and defer the next chance to another day. A handful of trainees do not get over the panicky feeling underwater no matter how many times they try and will never get to be certified divers. Since the instructors are aware of this and they usually don't know a new trainee from Adam, they have little choice but to be wary after witnessing a panic episode underwater.

17. Warren G

Warren G New Member

Good luck with the exam, i have just passed mine along with my girlfriend at the weekend. Not sat an exam for years and to be honest was nervous but as soon as it got underway i flew through it and got 97%. Could of got 98 but put right answer in wrong box, signal for OK and i think i ticked answer for 'go around a rock', lol lol lol, even my instructor laughed out.

Just got our Open Water dives to do now and thats in 3 weeks in Sharm.

18. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

I don't care how good the in water teaching is - if he keeps going out for a smoke when there are students around then he isn't, in my opinion, a good instructor.

19. ginge

ginge New Member

if he is leaving students alone in the water ( even in a swimming pool ) then he cant be that good

20. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

Woah people, woah!! :)

With respect to GB1, we actually know very little about what's happened here, there are always two sides to a story!

Yep, leaving students/candidates in the water unattended is a definite no go. But that's not what GB1 said, he said the instructor left them waiting around (if that was students under the water whilst he was out having a smoke, then QA the bugger and hang him out to dry ;)!)

Asking someone to do a complete resit for getting 82% seems a bit hardline, but we don't know what questions were wrong and ommitted. I can quite understand why an instructor may ask a student/candidate to do a complete resit if, for instance, they left out all of the questions regarding dive planning and the RDP. They would want to be sure the students were capable of working out the plan and pressure groups unassisted, working through questions is the only way to achieve this.

Some may say that smoking in front of candidates is a no no, but lets be realistic, how many instructors do you know that don't smoke (I gave up two weeks ago, still going well)!! Perhaps those breaks were also designed to give the candidates a break as well, let those that needed to pop to the bathroom, warm up or whatever else.

As JohnBoy rightly points out, some people simply should not be instructors. But equally as much, some instructors are really good, but human nature dictates that won't always gel with every candidate.

I know the instructor in question is Korean based, completely anonimous, and so unlikely to ever come into contact with any of the rest of us, but I still don't think it's right to judge someone without knowing at least a little more about what happened, or ideally hearing their side of the story. Hold the stoning until we've learnt a little more eh?

And if GB1 does decide to expand, and the feelings still the same, let 'em have it with both barrels :)