1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open water course time limit?

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by RosieB, Nov 4, 2018.

1. RosieB

RosieB New Member

Hi guys,
    I was just looking for a bit of advice. I started my padi pool dives and learning from the book in October 2016. When I started the course I told my instructor I worked saturdays and he told me that was not a problem as he regularly did the outdoor dives on sundays too. However, he only seemed to ever go out on Saturdays so I only managed to get on my first outdoor dive the summer after I started learning. On my first dive I had a really bad experience and had a panic attack and it took me until december (2017) to get back out and complete my first open water dive. I couldn't go out at the start of this year as we had all that crap weather and since May I've had to work Saturday and Sunday every week. I'm going to try and book time off to get it done but I have to book time off quite far in advance but we wont know if the dive is going ahead until the last minute depending on the weather. I've paid half of the course costs - my parents gave me the money for it so I really don't want to lose the time and money I have put in so far. I really want to get it finished and get my qualification but getting the time off work for it is going to be really difficult at the moment. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Its just been a really unfortunate set of circumstances

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Rosie,
    I’m not really aware or any hard and fast time limits but I wonder about the practically or it all. Can you remember the theory you learnt all that time ago? If your training dives are going to be spaced apart, are you going to remember what you learned on one dive to put into practice on the next dive?

As for not knowing if the dive is going ahead, where are you learning? I presume in an inland site. These might not be ideal if it’s raining but they are typically open for diving 360 days of the year rain or shine. This i think is making excuses.

Speak to you’d instructor, if they are not interested in Sundays then you booked under false pretences but it might simply be that they typically do Saturday and have forgotten that you need Sunday.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I see from a your previous post that the open water dives are not at an inland site but are actually in the sea, this does make it more weather dependant. Now near the lochs are you? These might be diveable when the sea isn’t.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Hi Rosie - that's tough and I think you have a problem even if you stay with the current instructor as, in my opinion, your training needs to be refreshed after so long. I can think of three options:
    - stay with the current guy and soldier on. This doesn't seem to be working and, reading between the lines, you've lost your faith in him
    - go for a weeks holiday and do the OW course there - Cyprus and Malta are both inexpensive islands and have good dive centres. You'd lose the cash you paid in UK but would likely qualify in a week without much difficulty. I looked up whether you could use your theory training to make it a "referral" course that would be cheaper, but the training cannot be more than a year old.
    - move to a BSAC club and train as an Ocean Diver, roughly equivalent to OW. This would take you longer and be cheaper. You would have to attend a series of theory lectures and then an exam, then pool sessions and open water dives. BSAC training is by volunteers and can be frustrating but you get a more in-depth skills for UK diving. You also get hooked into a club that will give you opportunities to dive and find buddies. If you go this way, you have to find an active training club, they vary greatly. I've moved from PADI to BSAC and very happy with the club I'm in.
    Best of luck.

5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The problem is that any training was done two years ago and as it wasn't finished no assumption
    any assessment has been done to prove a standard. Which is why you might find a bit of a problem
    trying to straight continue. Even if it's done on a referral basis with another PADI outfit i'd expect a
    high element if review. This may not mean doing it all over again, but will most likely mean proving
    you can do a skill. If as an example I said show me a mask clear, if you can do that to the required
    standard no need to teach that element again.

Which now means any course or continuation of course is a variable based on how well you
    perform and that means a sliding scale of weak, meaning do the whole lot again at full price or very
    good in which case an appropriate discount could be negotiated.

Either way don't see any issue with any outfit taking you on, but the costs may well vary a lot more
    than you think.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hopefully to add to that... Diving's one of those things that you need to be able to 'do' all the basic skills to a certain standard. A lot of it's very easy if you're comfortable in the water, but other skills need practice, such as mask clearing and buoyancy as well as swapping regulators, all of which are better under instructor supervision. Even building your kit up needs a bit of practice.

It's been said that for every ~6 months away from the water you slip back by a level. OK, that might not be strictly true, but your skils will definitely be 'rusty' and a set of reminders will always be a good thing.

Do keep it up!

7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I said it :p