1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onward from OW...

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by phantomlurker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. snowman

snowman Active Member

I agree, we never set an expectation of quick training, but you're obviously geared up to train more quickly than us.

Do you only have access to a pool one night a week?

M.

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No, we have access to at least 3 pools, but could get even more if needed and were prepared to travel
    or pay more.

Every dive outfit has or uses a pool, almost every club uses a pool, so if you need a pool on a different
    night seek out the other ones available. Sure this might mean a late or shared booking, but just needs as
    much time as it takes to type this message to bang an email off and see if it's viable.

I think the most we've ever had is three pool sessions in the same week, but could if we needed to have
    one every day, it would just need to be at different venues.

3. snowman

snowman Active Member

Well, there you go - We don't, but again, we set an expectation of how long it will take with us at the beginning - We usually train groups of trainees, not individuals, due to availability of pool, classroom and instructors.

We're a small club and training is a small, but important, part of what we do - We wouldn't expect people to commit so much time to train someone, it's just not how we choose to operate.

Our experience, more often than not, is that students cause more delays than us, but if we could train in such a condensed timescale that might well be less of a factor.

I'm not aware of any club locally to me (Surrey/Hants border) who train as quickly as Tel does, but obviously each club has different approaches and resources, so if you're in a hurry, you could always ask.

The risk is, of course, that they may not be as honest as we are. :)

M

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure what point you are trying to make TBH. We needed more pool time, so we got more pool time and as
    a backup researched other options in case these were booked on the night we wanted etc. Think the point I was
    making was to point out that If you want to go fast go PADI is not the only or necessarily the best option, another
    is to pick a BSAC club that goes fast :)

We don't always do that, but if asked (and we were) can pull out all the stops and get it done.

5. snowman

snowman Active Member

Just that few clubs will offer such an accelerated training programme - Even BSAC say it takes 6 months to be OD trained (on their website) and that's typical for us.

Kudos for doing it so quickly, but I think you're an exception to the rule (and so do BSAC :D) and I don't think you'll find many clubs who do (if we're really exceptionally slow then BSAC are underselling themselves!).

MOST people will find a PADI centre that will train them quicker than BSAC clubs - Of course, there's always the option of going BSAC via a centre.

M

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Honestly we are not an exception, I know plenty of clubs that get stuff done fast, but BSAC can't
    advertise that all clubs are fast in case it's a club that's slow and the club itself won't push it in case
    everybody expects that service.

Which is why as I said you just ask.

7. snowman

snowman Active Member

I've no argument against people asking - If you don't ask, you don't get :)

M.

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I'm impressed Tel - you must have a keen team of instructors. I'm off to an Ipswich BSAC club on Thursday for a club night - I sent an email and got a response within an hour, which bodes well.

9. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

I'll be honest, I hadn't thought about getting back under the water until the finance director and I were looking at honeymooon options, and the opportunities to do a bit of diving were so inviting. As we are away in february and my roster/schedule is so mixed when I saw the opportunity to get OW signed off in 4 days (that fitted my annual leave) it made sense, and I wasn't certain I wanted anything more than that card. Nothing against BSAC, I just knew that I could definitely get qualified before the holiday.

However having got back into the water I remembered how much I enjoyed the small amount I did years ago, and that I should get into it properly as more of a hobby than a one-off. This certainly lends itself more to a club environment to build my experience and be part of a community with all the additional benefits that come with that. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed working with the PADI team I had and would recommend them without hesitation, but as aware that it was very much a business relationship at the end of the day. As I don't have any pressures time-wise now it will be good to build my skills to the level that they really should be. If i'd thought about getting in touch with my old BSAC group (and @Tel ) to find out their flexibility I probably wouldn't have done OW at all, but it does mean I can relax and just take my time.

I understand that each club has different ways of doing things, and I guess the most valuable advice from above is to ask and get a good feeling about how the club runs and will go about the process of training along with timescales. I appear to be lucky in that there is not so much I need to do along those lines... But that's what i'll tell any of my colleagues who have expressed an interest in learning.

@JohnL Good luck with the new club, hopefully the quick response is a good sign!

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I've now had an email from the Diving Officer - it all sounds very positive. I'll update after the club night.

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Met a few of the Ipswich club members - all seemed very pleasant and efficient. They are active and it sounds like Sports Diver could be achieved in a reasonable time - in the past, a group of trainees decided that they'd like to get all the dives done quickly and found a time that all could make and did it in three days. They have two ribs and an inflatable and typically dive South Coast, sometimes North Norfolk, Farnes or further - £5/dive, £10 max for a day. No air fill available; two dive centres in Ipswich but I'll likely to continue using Norwich that is marginally closer. I'll give it a go and see how it goes.

Vanny likes this.
  12. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Best of luck mate: that's a cracking price per dive.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Always amazing prices with a lot of clubs. Admittedly there's the subscription fees, but a few boat dives will easily pay for them.

14. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

John, glad to hear the club seems active and so reasonably priced. Good luck in your endeavours with them