1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onward from OW...

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by phantomlurker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Evening all,
    So I recently passed my OW and am looking to take things forwards, not rest on my laurels etc... (other management-speak is available on request)
    Anyway, without passing judgement (and having experienced both) i'm in a bit of a conundrum regarding PADI vs BSAC.

The main problem is I'm a shift worker with an obscure working pattern, and without much scope for taking leave at short notice or around other team-members requirements. I feel this may limit my regular attendance at a BSAC club, and whilst the training may be free (ish) and equipment included, I worry that progression will be very slow and I may end up taking forever to hit the SD qualification.
    PADI AOW is much easier to fit into my schedule, however when you factor in training costs/equipment purchases/and especially experience gained it doesn't seem to provide real benefits, especially if as it wouldn't gain me any extra qualifications if I did later join a BSAC club.

I'd be interested in the opinions of anyone caring to contribute, and also for any recommendations for BSAC clubs in Southampton area - I have visited a few websites but they can only give you a glossy feel for the club. Any input is appreciated. (My previous BSAC experience was with Southampton Solent SAC, but they seem to have disappeared these days).

Anyway, thanks for having a look at this, as I said, any opinion welcome!

Cheers
    Ian

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

HIya . I suspect the key thing is if you can find a BSAC club that can work around your shift pattern. There's not much to crossing over to ocean diver. Probably have a look around for a couple of clubs and suss them out.

3. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for your Hiya in the other thread!
    That sounds like the best solution, I think I might actually have to speak to some people in the flesh to resolve this. Personally I favour the BSAC option, but may have a third way to gain experience without offending the non-diver who shares the funds...
    Thanks for your input!

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

@Tel is with a Southampton club. You could ask him about options there.

phantomlurker likes this.
  5. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Sweet, thanks for the info!
    The guy in charge of my student BSAC club was a guy called Terry. I wonder if he is one and the same...

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I went fairly rapidly from OW to AOW and Nitrox - it is a good way to get a qualification for guided holiday dives. You are reasonably competent to see the more interesting places, manage boats or ribs and with a 30m limit in warmer water and with good visibility. Now, two years on with my own kit and starting to dive in the UK, I'm heading for BSAC as I believe that it will give me further skills necessary for UK diving and the training, though slow, will be more thorough.
    Finding a decent BSAC club has not been easy; I think I've now got one although not got to a club night yet. Good luck!

7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a quick update, turns out phantomlurker is alumni and we've now been in touch :)

8. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

@JohnL Good luck with your new club! That sounds like a plan, and probably what I would proibably have done if I hadn't spoken to @Tel ...
    As he says, I get rejoin the Solent Uni BSAC, which is great as it means my new club is my old club (with a fancy new building). They are flexible enough with sessions that I shouldn't be too delayed in my training, and can provide all my kit. I can't wait!
    Thanks for your input
    Ian

Nick Ward likes this.
  9. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Nice one.

10. snowman

snowman Active Member

Result! :)

M

11. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Yep, happy days!

12. Alan Davies

Alan Davies Active Member

Hello just a quick on on my experience I passed my padi ow beginning of April with the Padi nitrox specialty and wanted to do my padi aow this year went on to do my padi dry suit speciality and buying all my gear including dry suit to go diving so spent a lot of money I was talked into joining a bsac club as the sports diver included rescue diver (padi £500) and smb (padi £150) was £45 to join the club £50 and £60 substady so £155 to get a sports diver qualification (would cost £1000 equivalent padi) but they only train Tuesday evening and as nights drawing in don't think I will get it done as they are volunteers and not every Tuesday there is a dive manager so now payed to do my padi aow in august

13. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Thanks for you post Alan, good to know, and was kind of the reason for my original concerns. From a brief chat with Tel and a browse through some of the club details it does appear that whilst club night is a Tuesday, there is some flexibilty with some activities being run on other days if required. Hopefully this will be enough to allow me to progress nicely. If not I may have to bite the bullet and lay out a lot more cash than I'd like to.
    Another significant factor for me was that I have experienced both BSAC (back in the mists of time) and PADI training (recently) and my personal preference is more towards BSAC, on the grounds of continual improvement and experiece rather than turn up, do the course, out the door heres your c card. I look forward to my first club-night this week to see where I am and what I have to adapt from my most recent training to suit the world of BSAC...

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

With @Tel around, you shouldn't be squandering money on the wrong kit:)

15. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

I think you underestimate my talent for squandering cash on shinies! :greedy:

16. Alan Davies

Alan Davies Active Member

Don't get me wrong I still go to the bsac club for the Tuesday dives and still go to the padi centre we're I did my ow with on a Wednesday night so I can leave time for me and the wife for weekends
    As I said I wanted to do either sports diver or aow by the end of the year as a mate from the midlands wanted to come down and dive with me but after phoning round could not find anywhere on a weekend that did dives under 18m they said I could go out sit on the boat for the first dive then go down on the second dive
    Did not fancy that
    Bsac clubs are excellent value for money and u learn a lot and it will be ideal for me after I have the advanced qualification either sd or aow

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Time in, or rather under the water counts more than pretty much anything else. Every dive you learn more and gain experience. Probably especially the dives that go wrong.

18. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Yep, I think that's really the kind of approach I like to take, right now although I have my OW ticket I know I don't have anywhere near the experience I would require to be comfortable, that only comes with time. Hopefully club diving will allow me to develop that more safely than other potential methods.

19. snowman

snowman Active Member

It is a challenge for smaller clubs to get training completed to a set schedule.

As you say, trainers are volunteers, with real jobs and lives to get on with and pool time has to be paid for, so having people decide they're too busy to turn up for training on a particular date (a common issue, we find, whether genuine or not) means it's not possible to move it to another night in the week (even if a pool has space!).

If you want to get trained quickly, then PADI is the way to go.

M

20. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Our latest newbie joined last Tuesday and by tomorrow night will have done all the pool and most of the theory.
    Next weekend she'll get two days of open water and be an Ocean Diver. That's just under 2 weeks from start to
    finish all done by volunteers (and the student herself) who have jobs :)

If a club offers training then the speed should be made clear at the outset and if a club has a history of delays or
    hiccups this needs to be made clear as well. Nothing worse than joining a club and not getting what's promised.

However it is a two-way street. For every trainee that gets trained quick there is another that fails to turn up or
    who turns up after a couple of months absence and expects the club to drop everything to train.

If you want to get trained quickly pick a club with a history of training quickly, but then make sure you turn up when
    they say.

Big Joe likes this.