1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One step closer

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by SteveD, Apr 4, 2018.

1. SteveD

SteveD New Member

I thought it best to start a new thread on this rather than clutter the Intro thread http://www.ukdivers.com/threads/hopefully-a-new-diver.15216/

Today I visited my new GP and he told me he see's no reason why I shouldn't pass a diving medical and has referred me for the Bruce protocol stress test, the results of which I need to take to London Hyperbaric.

The really excellent news is he told me that the stress test I took for my cardiologist not long after my heart attack was a lot harder to pass than the Bruce test.

Now I need to sit and wait for the appointment :)

phantomlurker, Wibble, Vanny and 3 others like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The very best of wishes to you!

Any idea how long the wait will be?

3. John F

John F Member

That’s fantastic new. I run a race car for a guy who had a heart attack a couple of years ago, so I know the kind of hoops you have to jump through in order to get the paperwork you need.
    Well done and good luck.
    John.

4. SteveD

SteveD New Member

I'm not sure but after about 6 years it won't seem long :)

5. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Two steps closer now, I have the appointment for the Bruce test on 15 June :)

Assuming I don't keel over doing that then all I need to do then is arrange a full medical at London Hyperbaric and get my arse to a club.

I've more or less decided now that I'm going to do a PADI referral with the OW dives in Egypt, that will keep swmbo happy with an extra little holiday :)

Then the real learning can start with BSAC Sport Diver.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The real learning is done by just going diving!

60plus and JohnL like this.
  7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Hi Steve - no guarantee that you will be able to go straight from OW with a few dives to Sports Diver, the club might well want you to work through Ocean Diver. Others closer to BSAC will be able to comment.

I'm all for the BSAC route having just taken Sports Diver, starting from AOW, Nitrox, Dry Suit and 50 dives. I also agree that the PADI referral OW is a good way to get you under the water with a regulator in your mouth. If you can think back to the day you passed your driving test and how competent you were on the roads, that's about where OW gets you as a diver.

8. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

If they do, then the club are making up rules as they go along. The BSAC SALT table says that a PADI OW would join as OW, and the next BSAC qualification would be Sports Diver.

https://www.bsac.com/training/switch-to-bsac/padi-or-other-agency-qualified/

9. snowman

snowman Active Member

There are some rescue skills in OD that OW doesn't include, but I would expect the club to cover those with a few pool sessions and a bit of open water training, rather than forcing you to go through the whole OD course.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry that's rubbish, the only additional stuff that's often done is a review in the pool before the course starts
    and that applies to any unknown joining a club even if they are BSAC Ocean.

We also do a quick run-through of Tables and Nitrox to make the same easier in Sport, but apart from that
    all the other elements like CBL and Drysuit are done as part of Sport. No way is this working through Ocean
    it's mostly all done in the same night :)

I've got 6x PADI OW starting BSAC Sport later today, 4 have done drysuit 2 have not and they will all be in the
    water by 10.30am :)

NickPicks likes this.
  11. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Today's the day :eek:

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Seconded, better safe than sorry

14. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Hope it goes OK.

15. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Or not, today was just a pre-test consultation :(

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

They do love to string things out!

17. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Tell me about it, lol.

I thought I was going to spend this afternoon arranging the medical.

He did say that looking at the stress ecg I did after the stents were fitted, BP and my answers to his questions (I told the truth, never lie to Docs) that he didn't think I would have a problem which was encouraging.

JohnL likes this.