1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Occulus Rift Anyone Got one?, Pre-ordered?, Demoed?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by becky9, Jan 28, 2016.

1. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I know @barrygoss was interested. Is anyone else? x

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope but I've got a home-made head tracker that monitors my head movements and translates them into game movements. I use it for head-look when I'm cruising around the galaxy in my spaceship.

Willie likes this.
  3. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

Elite: dangerous?

That's why I'm interested in the oculus

B

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, I use a little jobbie called an EDTracker (see what they did there!), it's built but a small group of Elite enthusiasts.

I also use Roccat Power-Grid to give me a customisable panel of buttons on my iPad so I don't have to remember so many keyboard buttons, if I want to lower my landing gear, instead of pressing the g button or whatever it is, I press the button that says landing gear with a little logo of some wheels.

I have VoiceAttack too so I can control ship features with voice commands but rarely use that as my girlfriend starts moaning at me for making too much noise.

5. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Very geeky!

Over the last few years, I think the PC games market has been stagnating and I'd lost a lot of interest. I've been umming and ahing for quite a while whether to get one of the dev kits as it is going to be something thats going to take off in a big way I think. I'll probably wait until I get the chance to have a play hands on before splashing out blind now though. Vive looks very interesting too but I think thats more suited to room environments like kinect or commercial vr arcades x

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Remember that just buying the Occulus is only half of the battle, you'll also need beefy graphic power in your PC to drive it, something like an nVidia 980Ti or possibly 2 of them.

becky9 likes this.
  7. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Yep, like Barry I think my i7 is a bit long in the tooth so that'll need replacing too, along with a new mobo & memory. I think I'll wait to see what happens when its available and then look around - the new nvidia and amd chipsets should be on the block then. I doubt I'll do sli, not really a huge fan of that - last sli I had was 2 voodoo 2s :D x

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never liked the idea of SLI either, i'd much rather a single more powerful card. Having said that i've never had SLI, i've had a graphics card with a separate 3D accelleration card (Voodoo2) but not the 2 x Voodoo's, i've just heard of lots of micro-stuttering issues with SLI.

The i7 is probably ok for gaming but if it's an old one then might be showing its age for other work. I'm still using an i5 750 and it's going ok.

9. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

I ran SLI for a while, worked well.
    I ran the oculus rift app to see what I needed. (i5 - 4590 is a minimum)
    Ram @ 12gb is fine
    Graphics card aces it. (I upgrade that each year or so, currently a GTX - 970)
    i7 Xeon just ain't cutting it, so that's a new motherboard and processor before I shell out on the rift.
    I'm running elite on full everything at the moment, it's the rift putting the extra demands on the processor that's killing it.

COD means I just use keyboard and mouse, I touch type anyway so keys aren't hard to find.

B

10. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Socket 1366 with triple banked Ram? I'm running 12gb on that config x

11. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

Yep, funny to hear that's shit now.

Feck knows what to plump for, the ram and graphics need to transfer, atx form
    But processor and mb need to be at least 4 years proof. Budget isn't really a prob, but if I could buy a classic inspo for the same price I'd cough ;)

B

Oh and at least 4 native usb 3.0 ports or more if possible

12. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Graphics will be fine, but you could really do with ditching the ram, I expect its DDR2

I'm going to wait until the retail rift hits, then start to look around x

13. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

Ddr3, it's cheap enough ;) and it has those really cool looking heat sink things ;) and pipes and stuff.

If I'm going all new cpu then I'll bite the bullet this time (as I agonised last time) water cooled everything. ;)
    Neons ftw

B

14. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Lol Barrys Boys ;) :D x

Edit: Anyways if you get one first, I'm popping round to have a go ;) :D x

barrygoss likes this.
  15. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

I make this shit look cool ;)

B

becky9 likes this.
  16. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Tbh if anyone can make it look cool, it woud be you :D x

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Which Apple computer is that?

18. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

The one that rift doesn't run on? x

19. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

becky9 likes this.
  20. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Wouldnt you know it, they say things in threes, Ribs, Car and now PC died :rage:. 6700K and new mobo winging its way to me as ws speak I hope. Just need a new gfx card and it will be raring to go. x