1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northwest UK suggestions

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Fellsteruk, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk New Member

hey everyone,

New around these parts, recently did my OWD cert on holiday and liked it so much I did the AOWD and Nitrox.

Now I'm back I'm looking for the best way to maintain regular dives but all the places I'm finding online seem to be focus on learning to dive and whilst I do want to do rescue next I just want to get some more dives under my belt.

All suggestions welcome :)

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Join a local club and go diving, there are BSAC clubs throughout the country. Even though you didn't train with BSAC you can still die with them, you can continue your training with them though if you wish.

3. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk New Member

Thanks but I hope I don't "die" with them lol. Yeah I've been looking but I'm gonna have to travel a little I think but I'm looking

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Great typo!
    Die --> dive

Clubs are a great way to go in the early days. Do make sure that you 'try' different clubs as they vary greatly.

Welcome to a great passtime.

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry, yes i meant dive. i'm on a cheapo windows tablet and it can be a bit painful at times.

6. AndyW

AndyW Member

The north west is a big place. Where abouts are you? You may get a few local recommendations.

The stretch of coast between north wales and the scottish border is pretty poor diving wise. For the most part, it's one big gently sloping sand bank. There are dives to be had though. I've pottered about in the muck and occasionally found interesting life. There are also a fair few wrecks but they're certainly not as accessible as most other parts of the country. I only know of a couple of clubs that actively go out on their own boats.

I will generalise and say most of the divers in the region travel a little bit. For freshwater practise and the like You've got Capernwray just off M6 J35. Slightly further up, most of the "lakes" in the lake district are diveable. Notably Coniston, Wastwater and Windermere.

But for proper diving you don't have to travel too far. From Cumbria, I'm approximately 3 hours from N Wales / Anglesey, 3.5 hours from the Farne Islands on the NE and about 4 hours from both Eyemouth on the Scottish east coast and the west coast sea lochs. I've certainly never struggled with options.

The best bet is to find an ACTIVE club (of any agency / type / flavour) and that way you'll have a load of buddies and options.

There are some really good clubs in the area. Don't settle for one that will just see you paying entry to Capernwray once a month. You'd be missing out on what the UK has to offer.