1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newquay. A big let down

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by codhead, Sep 4, 2011.

1. codhead

codhead New Member

I have just returned from a week travelling around Devon and Cornwall and have been surprised by the lack of diving available for a single diver.
    Having booked a days diving with Discovery Divers in Plymouth, the week got off to a great start with two great dives, and excellent service from all. Newquay was the next stop on our hols. As I was only there for 1 night only, no diving was booked, but whilst I was there, I noticed a dive center (Dive Newquay), that was attached to the hotel I would be staying at in 2 days time. I entered Dive Newquay and was greeted by the owner sat at his desk on a laptop, and a compressor at full pelt filling banks. The owners first line to me was " Hi, i'll be with you in a moment". Two minutes later, the owner arose, turned the compressor off and asked what he could do for me.
    Having asked him if there was any diving available for the forthcoming friday, he said yes there would be some diving, and took my number so he could ring me to give me details nearer the time. His mobile rang soon after which prompted him to walk away from me without any confirmation or "excuse me".
    A young girl who, I assumed was a member of staff, said if he had my number, he would contact me regarding the plans for diving on the Friday.
    I never received any phone call from Dive Newquay.
    The moral of this story is :- DON'T DIVE NEWQUAY

2. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

You mean, DON'T EXPECT A PHONECALL FROM DIVE NEWQUAY, I CANT COMMENT ON THE DIVING AS I DiDNT DO ANY WITH THEM.

codhead likes this.
  3. codhead

codhead New Member

In a sentence suggsy, Yes.
    I just get abit p***ed off when dive centers treat people like this. It advertises as a Padi dive resort. Maybe worth contacting padi to raise my concerns

4. Gnomey

Gnomey Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. How dare he be busy and stressed.

5. fhillie

fhillie Member

Hmm ... our local dive centres get really busy and there's often only one person in the shop, but they've always got good manners, even when their phones ring.

I, however, have just had a week of rudeness and having to tell people how it is and am no longer taking cr*p from those serving (?) me, who are just rude. So there :p

6. Gnomey

Gnomey Well-Known Member

Ever had a bad day?

7. Rhys Orwin

Rhys Orwin New Member

That is a bit harsh on the OP. He should be able to expect decent service no matter where he goes, ignoring a customer is just bad practice and not getting back to them is even worse. Diving is expensive and I don't think it's too much to ask to have a good experience with the staff. Everyone can understand if someone looks busy but anything on a laptop can wait really. It only takes 2 minutes to say hello and take someone's number and tell them you will get back to them.

It's a shame that the experience was bad, I loved Newquay and have had a great time there a few times but I must admit I have never dived there!

Rhys

8. aquanaut

aquanaut Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate that at times we do get bad service, of course you can catch somebody on a bad day, we all have them. I would say did you get in touch and ask why he did not get back to you, simple thing like a lost number may have been the cause, specially if he seems to have had a few things going on.

Highlighting on these forums though is no bad thing, many people follow them and very often it gets back to the company/LDC and something is done, so i am not knocking your post. We should on the other side of the coin applaud and let people know, when great service is received, sadly something not done very often.

9. Rhys Orwin

Rhys Orwin New Member

I completely agree with the above. Great service needs to be raved about, it's just not human nature as it is something we expect.

10. codhead

codhead New Member

I appreciate, and agree, with your comments, but why would I need to ring the dive center up and question why they hadn't rung me?
    He put my no. in his diary, so if he had lost that, then i'd question his professionalism.
    I would love to say what a great dive center & instructor I have been using for the last 3 years. But I fear politics and grievance's would slurr his reputation.

11. Elvis

Elvis Banned

Why it's your opinion and experience, others may disagree based upon their opinion and experience but that's all it is.

12. aquanaut

Fact is we are all human and mistakes happen, i normally give people a chance to explain if something as gone wrong, very much so if am annoyed or feel let down enough to come on to a very popular and well read dive forum such as UKD and shoot the guy down. But that is your right, i was just offering an opinion on what may have happened .

Gnomey likes this.
  13. Jellybeanz

Jellybeanz Fully paid up member of Team Idjit

I have been to a couple of places that have made mistakes, one place missed me on the pickup but made up for it on my dives. I would rather the mistake be a small administrative error than a safety error. The place I was with missed me due to being busy with the safety checks etc for the dive group before us. They did send a car to pick me up and when it was our dive slot they paid a lot of attention to us and our safety.

14. Lead Diver Dive Newquay

Ok guys I am the DC owner being spoken about, and I cannot disagree with codhead as he has posted so it happened. What I can do is apologise profuseley. However this is not our, or my normal practice and yes we endeavour to satisfy all customers at all times but upon this occasion I (no one else) neglected this particular customer in an unforgivable way.
    To this end if he would like to call me on freephone 0800 612 5524 at his leisure maybe I can make it up to him with say a free nights accomodation in the Hotel Victoria and a free days diving.

15. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Bloody hell, can't say fairer than that!

Doomanic likes this.
  16. Jellybeanz

Jellybeanz Fully paid up member of Team Idjit

Wow, yes I agree!

17. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Top bloke! Now that is good customer service!

C

18. BrindooSteve

BrindooSteve Swollen Member

Fantastic!! Sounds to me like one of those "if Carlsburg did Scuba Diving...." type of places !! Result.

19. Pete

Pete Banned

Top man well done
    Pete

20. aquanaut