1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newest dive device?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Dive_into_1, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Dive_into_1

Dive_into_1 New Member

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Well if it's on Indiegogo that typically means that the product doesn't actually exist yet. Since it's not need in the hands of real people then we likely won't have comments to make about its build quality, robustness etc. I also HATE the idea that this is paired with a phone.

If you are new to diving stick to something standard like a Suunto Zoop and concentrate on becoming a good diver than buying gadgets.

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not a lot.

A diver's life often depends on a dive computer, one that in the main has the primary function of tracking
    Nitrogen on the dive and to deliver other accurate information dependent on model. They are designed to
    be pressure sealed and work at depth and do not need an additional case to function.

Once back on land they can be downloaded easily to either same brand or many independent apps
    that funnily enough work on phones :)

As you are a new member and funnily enough asking about a new product then chances are you are
    connected with it, but for now benefit of the doubt as I don't think you'll be getting many positive reviews.

4. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Another day, another new member who registered specifically to ask for advice about this "wonderful new solution" they found on indiegogo.

Apart from the $99 price tag (which you'll lose if they go the same way as the other newest dive device "evolutionary new Triton underwater breathing solution" did anyone ever get their money back from that, or are they still waiting for their deliveries?)

I can think of a flaw:
    As it's a hand held device that you're going to use for filming, what happens if you drop it? (i know of lots of people who have lost cameras) Not only are you going to lose your photos, but you're also going to lose the thing that's calculating your safety critical decompression information. The best place for that is strapped securely to your wrist.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Your life depends on it. The watch format works because it's there when you need it.

Having said that, a cheap dive logging device which you bung in your pocket might be useful if you've got a cheap *but reliable* dive computer, e.g. Suunto Zoop, on your wrist that doesn't log.

Both of my computers I dive with log my dives, so I have no use for them.

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Er the Zoop does log :p

7. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

yeah... I'm out!

8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

What a dumb idea! Another product without a requirement which is trying to get money from the gullible!

So called 'smartphones' are expensive to buy, have a limited life, typically 2 years, and are noted for unexpected depletion of their batteries.
    Why would anyone want to buy a housing (not cheap) and silly gadget so they could rely on one for diving?

What depth is this thing rated for? What depth can the phone housing reach? Would I be able operate it at 70m with thick gloves?

As a contrast, I have a very 'expensive' computer I no long use to sell. It is a 10 year old Suunto Vyper, with uplink cable, new battery and new screen protector. It has done over 1000 dives and is proven to 87m and is available for £100.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Didn't know that -- makes it even better!

The only "decent" dive housing for a smartphone I've seen is this:
    https://www.easydive.it/en/shop/449/leo3-smart/

At only €990 it's a bargain for any iPhone owner.

(Actually it's very clever: the housing has a separate battery to power the smartphone; it uses a Bluetooth app to control the camera; it fits 'any' smartphone using different trays -- I.e. when Apple allows us to pay them another £2000 for next year's phone; and waterproof to 150 metres)

10. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

That is a bargain, do Samsung do one?