1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie!!!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by kingo1984, Jun 12, 2019.

1. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

Hi everyone,
    Im new to diving, and by new I mean I have done it once in Lanzarote about 15 years ago. Always been a huge fan of the ocean but due to cost I was happy enough snorkeling/free diving whilst on holidays. I spent 6 Months in South Africa where I gained a little experience in spear fishing, but as far as scuba goes you can consider me a complete noob....
    I'm here for advice more than anything. I recently decided to take the plunge and buy my own equipment (as pictured below) I along with my Mrs am planning on a Move to North Wales in the next few months so thought it would be a perfect time to turn my hand to it again.
    As stupid as this may sound to you all my plan was to buy my gear and basically Jump in the shallows, having thought better of it tho I have decided to take a quick dive course at my now local dive school, but am reluctant to train to a qualified level. I have no idea how this all works but I know that I most definitely need a crash course in diver saftey before I start of. Being that I will more than likely be alone most times I go out! I would greatly appreciate all you're suggestions if possible? I do not plan to go to great depths right now, as if memory serves me right I really struggled with ears last time and equalizing. However I am thinking this may not be as much as an issue for me now with the free diving experience I have.
    I plan to dive in a local lake at first to test out my gear (as I bought it used) that being successful I will dive in Anglesey mainly and other shallow waters using my newly bought excalibur 2 underwater metal detector! (A nice bit of kit)...For the time being I will only be staying in no more than 10m depths. Bit knowing myself I will possibly end up wanting more. Im off to bali in a few months and the gear I got will come in usefull for the shallow reefs there.
    I would love to maybe meet up with anyone with experience who can maybe show me the ropes and feed me the knowledge I desperately need. Im free most weekends and drive! So if there is a planned dive coming up I would love to join.
    Thanks in advance, Mike

Also apologies for shocking grammer/spelling. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Hi there Kingo; difficult to know where to start. When you sign into any dive centre, you sign a statement acknowledging that diving is dangerous and, if you foul up and die, it's your own fault not theirs. Diving with a buddy is the norm, solo diving requires greater experience and skills. There is a good reason for this - when (and I mean when) something goes wrong, you have someone to help you out with enough air to get you both to the surface if necessary. Anglesey is not a simple place to dive - it has strong tides and currents, you have to know what you are doing.

I'm sure others will respond, but in my opinion, you are heading into danger. You may think that 10m is shallow, and so it is - I've seen someone come up with lung damage, coughing blood from that depth.

kingo1984 likes this.
  3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Get some proper training first, it’ll go bad if you don’t. As John mentioned diving with a buddy is pretty typical and solo divers less common, you should be able to find a club or willing qualified diver to babysit you and show you the sites but don’t be tempted to just wing it.

kingo1984 likes this.
  4. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

I kinda foreseen the replies to be honest. I will be getting some training starting this weekend at the local dive school. Hopefully I will meet some people there who want to buddy up? I don't want to wnd up killing myself thats for sure. How long would you say it would take to obtain my first diving certificate? What is the process? Like I have heard of a Master diver before! But what do you get first? Thanks

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Of you go the PADI route the entry point is called Open Water and that can be done in a couple of weekends. The BSAC route takes a bit longer (quite how long depends on the club) but is a more comprehensive qualification and as its pub based may give you more opportunities for diving.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

In the early days you'll need as much help as you can get. Diving requires considerable skills development to be safe and enjoy your diving, especially in UK conditions with cold, tides, weather, frequent poor visibility. Aside from instructors, you need to see and dive with good divers.

Competence in diving requires instruction and practice. Until you've developed considerable experience you will be diving with 'buddies'.

By far the easiest and most successful way to start diving is through a club, be that commercial or non-commercial. That could be a Local Dive Shop -- normally PADI -- which are generally good but it'll be a commercial arrangement, costing money to dive. Another option is to join a BSAC club (other agencies are available) which will be cheaper but possibly slower.

Have fun!

kingo1984 likes this.
  7. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

I have Just Joined my local BSAC club. Surprisingly cheap and I will soon be doing my open water qualification. Im excited to test out my new gear. Thanks for all the advice

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Which club?

9. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

Droylsden sub aqua club its called

10. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

Droylsden sub aqua club.

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Interesting, my daughter/son-in-law live in Hadfield. Both OW, but my daughter won't dive in cold water! Could be good for sil - let us know in a few months what you think.

12. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

I will report back in a few weeks. Dry suit for me in this country. Way too cold

13. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

Not far at all from that neck of the woods. Maybe 30 mins drive I think.