1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Wing Setup - No idea what to get

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by ScubaSarge, Feb 25, 2018.

1. ScubaSarge

ScubaSarge New Member

Time has come for me to upgrade from my trusty Apeks Black Ice (which I have loved diving with), to a proper wing setup. At present I am only diving on single tank (12/15ltr) and 7Kg of lead with a wetsuit or 12Kg with a drysuit , and I am a fairly large chap. Here are the questions.....

What manufacturer; Apeks, XDeep, Custom Divers, Finnsub etc?
    What size wing?
    What type of wing doughnut or horseshoe?
    What type of backplate (not fussed about weight for travel), should this be SS or Ally?

I want to move onto twins at some stage so the ability to swap out for a larger wing would be idea.

Thank you for all your help!!!!

2. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

3. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Have a look at the link below for a few thoughts plus the next one on backplates & harnesses. The wing is definitely based on twinsets but there’s still some transferrable information.

http://rectotec.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/how-to-set-up-twinset-part-2-wings.html?m=1

Long story short:
    30lb horseshoe wing
    SS BP & harness. Personally I would say a one piece but it’s all down to preference.
    STA & bands (pending on the type of wing)
    Potentially twin weight pouches to move some of the lead onto your cylinder.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

4. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Where are you based?

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

5. ScubaSarge

ScubaSarge New Member

Your blog is really helpful and thank you for the information, I really want to make sure I'm getting the right kit so appreciate your (and everybody's) help.

I'm based on the sunny Sussex coast near Brighton.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi there. I used to dive a Black Ice and went over to the wings & backplate. Never gone back since.

The good news is it's a lot cheaper in some respects that a BCD. You will loose your pockets, but you gain so much more.

Backplates really are pretty generic and simply bits of metal that don't wear out. You'll probably end up with both stainless for diving in the UK and aluminium for travelling with. The harnesses are simple one-piece harnesses which are cheap as chips, and don't wear out.

You can use a single tank adapter for singles, this simply bolts on between the backplate and wing and has a couple of straps (cam-bands) for holding a single tin. To the bands you add some weight pouches which you drop the bricks into.

There's differences between a single-tank wing and a twinset wing which is wider. Thus you'll probably end up with two wings, one of each.

Doughnut shaped is generally accepted as being superior to the old horseshoe shape because the gas can migrate more easily between the wing sides. Personally I hate doughnut wings -- memories of having all my gas in one side of the Black Ice which needed me to deliberately 'tip' the gas from one side to the other. Some people get on with horseshoes. Most will recommend doughnuts.

You don't need bunged wings. These are old-hat and to streamline massive wings used in the days of huge umbilical torch batteries.

You only need 40lb / 18kg of lift unless you're doing big technical dives with loads of cylinders which you'll consume lots of gas. 50lb max.

Lots of wings to choose from. Look at the Halcyon Eclipse 30 for a single and Evolve 40 for twinsets. Other wings are pretty much the same but cheaper.

Now the recommendation. Don't buy new! Backplates come up periodically for about £50 or less. Harnesses are cheap enough to buy new. Wings also occasionally come up. Single tank adapters (STA) aren't expensive; the stainless ones are fine.

Your best bet is to have a look at someone else's config. If you're near Brighton, which mob do you dive with? If PADI, then Ocean View or Newhaven. Ocean View has a pool and is available for use on club nights.

7. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

i have recently converted from a SEAC Sub 2000 SWS BCD to a single Xdeep tec wing setup and i dropped 2kg in weight due to the ss backplate. My intention is to eventually move up to twin set diving so i only need to buy the wing to accommodate this when i do feel the need to twin set dive. My first dive with the new setup was so much different than diving with the Seac BCD, Single harness and double cam bands with trim pockets attached to them. The freedom i got from having nothing around my sides was noticeable straight away, i also cut some of the clutter down from my gauges and now use a single apes SPG as my computers can give me my depth. But overall it made my first dive with it more enjoyable than previous dives

JohnL likes this.
  8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Sounds, good - I'm in a similar transition, from a Mares Dragon BCD to a Red Hat Wing. I'm taking it slowly, with another pool session tomorrow. As well as weights on cam bands, I'm looking for some ditchable weights on the waist band to get rid of a separate weight belt. Halcyon ACB weight pockets have been recommended and look just what I need.

9. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

i ditched the intergrated weight pockets on my old BCD a long while back, went to a harness system which i found more comfortable, now i have the Tec Wing i may be thinking more of a padded waist belt to lessen the amount of strapping around the shoulders of my body, but like people say on here its all about getting the configuration right for you, everyone has different ideas..

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

You do loose pockets from the BCD. As you migrate to the 'tec' format you also gain additional stuff to put in your pockets -- spare mask, wetnotes, spools, SMB(s), etc., so you need bigger pockets on your drysuit. Or wear "Tec shorts"!

Steve Quick likes this.
  11. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

something i have not thought of is a spare mask, don't think i have seen anyone take a spare mask with them on a dive, or maybe its all ready hidden in pocket from view, but still worth to have the redundancy there if needed.

12. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

It's probably in their drysuit pocket, but most tech divers carry a spare mask.

Steve Quick likes this.
  13. John F

John F Member

I am off to Cyprus in November, to dive Zenobia. I am trying to make my mind up whether to use my Halcyon 40lbs wing ( usually for my twin set ) with a single 15L or use my sea quest bcd.
    Some of the over divers in our group don’t dive with twins, so not much point in me taking mine, but I don’t know if a 40lbs wing will be to big for a single 15L.
    Any thoughts welcome.
    John

Chimpus likes this.
  14. splinter

splinter Active Member

Don't know about the halcyon, but my Hollis 45lb would taco quite a lot round a 15l. Not ideal.

I'm also going to Cyprus but in October. It's not a diving holiday as such, but I'm planning on getting a couple of days on the zenobia. Dived it 10 years ago, so looking forward to going back.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

15. John F

John F Member

Hi Splinter,
    Yer I wondered if it would be too big, maybe best to you my standard bcd.
    Have a good trip in October.
    I’ve not been there before, but it looks great on you tube.

16. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Worth keeping your eyes open for a good deal on a used 30lb one. Better than reverting to a BCD I think.

17. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Yep, the right pocket is for the stuf I hope I'll not need; spare mask, AIS beacon and, if applicable, yellow CO2 SMB.

Steve Quick likes this.
  18. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

If you are diving a single 15, then revert to what you know. Why complicate life?
    For most of my diving I use CCR but if the dive calls for a single tank then my trusty Buddy Commando gets an outing. Not pretty, or fashionable, but it is like donning an old pair shoes and it just works.

19. John F

John F Member

Yes I think that’s probably what I will do, it’s just I find my trim with the wing is much more horizontal, maybe I am out of practice with the old kit.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Or you could borrow a 30lb Halcyon Eclipse wing if someone on here had one lying around unused that they bought for holiday diving but haven't been away for a while and you promised to look after it...