1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Twin 12s

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Zubar, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I'm thinking of treating myself to a new set of tins. My old set are tatty and have been stamped and shotblasted a million times, the only good bit on them is a reasonably new Apeks manifold because the old one got wrecked when the set fell off a bench on a boat. Not a funny moment.

My plan is to split the old set and blank the manifold to be used as singles for fooling about, I may make an effort to do some rib dives with my local club.

Looking at new sets, one can get a new Apeks set form Godive for £399, now thats not to be sniffed at. What is the opinion on these? I currently have Fabers which are ok for me as I'm short.

I would also then sell my twin 7s which don't quite work for me, but would get one of these
    https://www.techduikshop.nl/shop/product_info.php?cPath=69_97&products_id=372
    so I can use the singles without breaking down my regs, and also for holidays. I don't seem to be able to find a UK supplier, any thoughts.

C

2. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

I have the Apeks twin 12’s. The valves are really smooth but they’re the only twin 12’s I’ve used so don’t have a comparison on trim. The only thing I can say with certainty is that I need a 2kg tail weight on them to prevent me from going vertical. I got the Apeks twins as I’ve used quite a few single 12’s and the Apeks was by far the nicest from the perspective of both the valve and the trim.
    I’m currently trying to make mine look more battle scarred as they’re so shiny it’s embarrassing.

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I've got a set of Fabers with a recent test...

No trimix left in them now though...

4. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I have a tail weight.
    Re the look, yes I do like the fact that mine look like they have a story to tell, and they have. Doomanics old twins on the other hand were a different matter! I kindly took then in for a fill at my LDS once, propped them up next to mine by the mix pannel, the shop owner takes one look and says ''What the fook is that?!'' They were crusty beyond belief, but still got filled.

5. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I kind of fancy some new ones, sort of starting fresh. An expensive ocd thing but also practical, cyl testing is an expensive cycle, best to start at the beginning.

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I have two sets of them. Out of four valves I've had one replacement and two 'rebuilds', am due to do a third.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For hols I just unscrew the longhose and BCD inflate hose from one reg and screw them on the other. Then take the 'empty' first stage as a backup in case you can dive a twinset abroad. (Actually, that's not true as I've got Tec3's which don't have enough LP ports for use as a single setup - but I just reconfigure a spare set of regs in this way)

Tins wise, anything but Fabers which are short and squat and are uncomfortable to use, especially if you don't have boots on the cylinders.

"Long" cylinders such as the Euros, Vivoche (sp?), and Apeks are far more comfortable to kit up in and sit down wearing on a boat as they position your backplate higher. They're also thinner than Fabers so should be a little more streamlined and present a smaller frontal cross-section for crawling through things.

TBH if I was buying a third twinset, I'd always go for the concave 'flat' bottom ones for the sheer convenience of standing them upright without needing to lean on something and because they're easier to get in and out of because they don't lean away when your arms are half way out of the harness of there's nothing behind you.

As for valves, I'm coming to the conclusion that there's no difference between them all. My Apeks valves recently broke and need regular servicing to keep the free-turning, whereas my generic MDE valves are just as good as the Apeks ones in the water -- can't tell the difference IME. I've had my Apeks valves go all stiff too, making shutdowns really difficult. Also, yesterday, my Apeks left-had valve jammed underwater when I did a flow-check and was very difficult to unjam with my hand behind my head (I'm a fully open with a gnats cock back person). Apeks aren't any better than the others -- their 'oooh, Apeks are great' reputation seems to be marketing bolx.

8. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

9. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Flat bottoms weigh an additional 2kg or so each I believe, so +4kg in total - an awful lot extra considering I'm perhaps a touch heavy in fresh with round ones.

10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

The above is with a membrane suit. With my O3 turd the additional low-down weight would not be unwelcome.

IIRC correctly @Zubar, you're no fatty and dive in a membrane suit, so the additional weight might be a nuisance.

11. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

That two way splitter thing looks alright for her holidays but if you already have the tins your splitting fitted with modular valves, why not adapt them to H / Y valves? That way you could still shut a free flowing ref down on a single without total gas loss. Otherwise two first stages simply doubles your chance of a failure? There is no harm in h or y valves generally as they can still be used with basic single first stage setups if needed. I doubt it would cost much to set up and still have the splitter adapter for hols?

12. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

This is a good point, and well remembered. Also I'm not strong at all, so more manageable weight is preferable.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My flatties and roundies are only slightly different circa 1kg in total. I'll check them tomorrow.

14. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Hmm. Anyway looks like I’ll have to wait to treat myself as have had a few big bills come through so the household FD has implemented some spending cuts. Apparently in this time of austerity a new twinset is ‘under review’ but renewing beard and sandals membership is ok as it is cheaper than her monthly spend on nails.

My time will come.......

15. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

According to DIRdirect 14.5 v 14kgs each.

16. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I have the round bottom euros. 13.7 kg.
    I'm renting another set of the same over here in Italy. 14.8kg.

Surprising difference.

It's working in my favour as they still balance well and I only need 2kg in lead instead of the 4kg I need with my set

I almost got the Apek's manifold as I liked it's smooth operation. I went for the H in the end as they are more of a known quantity.

17. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I'll be selling an Apeks valve/manifold setup soon if anyone is interested.

They're the bestest!