1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jfr15867, Mar 6, 2018.

1. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

Hello everyone:

I am Jorge, open water since January '18. Only 4 dives and counting...now my next goal is advance open water, but want to improve my skills in the water because I feel clumsy. Also learning SUP, if someone wants to combine both activities, I am open for too.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Hi Jorge & welcome.

Where are you based?

What is SUP?

jfr15867 likes this.
  3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome Jorge - clumsy after four dives, yes of course. I still feel clumsy sometimes after more than fifty!

I've just worked out that SUP is stand up paddle? I cannot see that working in scuba gear.:whistling:

4. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

Agree, scuba and SUP are not related, but I like both. In fact, I did the diving course because couldn't stand up over the paddle board when in Mexico. Stil needs flat waters to do it.
    Thank for replay.

5. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

Tribal Chesnut:

Thank you for your greetings. SUP is stand up paddleboard. The easy description: is like windsurf, without the wind and with a oar.
    I live in Nuneaton and plan to dive in Stoney Cove for now.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

You should also have a look at the BSAC route, rather than AOW. The training is club-led through volunteers - the first qualification is Ocean Diver, which is, I think, a bit more in-depth than OW, the next is Sports Diver, which I completed recently, which combines AOW and Nitrox with more in-depth work, especially for rescue skills - I had to strip my instructor's wife in shallow water* :whistling:. I took AOW about 18 months ago and went for Ocean Diver as I felt it would give me a better skillset for UK diving. Also, the club system allows a lot of mentoring of inexperienced divers. So, you would have regular opportunities to dive. Just looked, there is a club in Nuneaton! https://www.marlinsac.com

* of her weights and other scuba gear only, of course.

jfr15867, Big Joe and Vanny like this.
  7. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

JohnL:

Thank you for the advice. Visited the web page and looks very interesting. I will contact them to see if suit my needs, as I work in the evenings. I like they are locals and looks to dive in the area.

8. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

I also work some evenings normally the ones when all the local clubs have their meets or pool sessions this is a pain in the arse. I also work Saturday afternoons which is the other time they have their pool sessions. This is one of the reasons I stopped diving as I couldn't get to blow any bubbles out of season.

9. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

Pitdiver:

Once I fix my situation will be able to travel weekends and open to book a Sunday if that suit you better. Preferably somewhere with refilling service to do more than one dive. Be aware I am only OW so 18 meters (60 feet) is my limit.