1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New lake open for diving in Kent

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Joe, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Joe

Joe Active Member

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Arrgh, a Facebook link. Here's the same without the faecesbook spying code...

Www.standrewsdiving.co.uk

£17 for a dive in a chalky lake.... feck moi! And no solo diving either.

3. jps

jps Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Not only is there no solo diving they only open at weekends.....

4. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

And they require an M25 battle to get there. Fuck that. Probably only of use on the very rare occasions when you might have planned to be diving from Dover but it gets blown out and you've already travelled down there.

jps likes this.
  5. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

£17 new pound?

Wibble likes this.
  6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes, I thought it was a bit steep, don’t think there’s a compressor there yet either. I’ll prob still go and look but expect I’ll end driving the extra hour to go to Stoney for the topography and attractions when the sea isn’t available or appropriate.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

£17 is the same price as NDAC without discount. Other mucky southeast puddles charge £10 for the "pleasure".

Are the other watersports motorised? Hope not as that's noisy wnderwater.

8. Suffolkmatireland

I just spent my saturday there, circumstances dictacted sady that sunday i would come home. Staff-fantastic, really helpful. diving-good- it is new, most of it is unexplored so who really knows what is in there!!! vis- 5-10 metres, but it is chalk, the fine silt is bad.

anyway, i will be back, the staff were really great, the site is good, depending on what is in there will make the dives of course, i would be wary of taking a novice diver purely because there is not really any shallow sections for training

Joe and Griffalo like this.
  9. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Give them a chance, it's going to be hard to staff something like this from scratch in the winter months. I've spoken to them, explained I could only do weekdays and they agreed to open for me on a Tuesday. Can't get much better than that. I'll be diving there in Feb so I'll let you all know what it's like.

Joe and jps like this.
  10. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Still not been but drove past it yesterday on the way back from Buckland. Is there anything actually in the lake? (Buckland has the usual stuff that has been put there for divers but also has the quarry works / pump rooms etc left from before it was flooded). Not sure I'm keen on swimming over chalky nothingess for £17 but would go for some depth if it is worth looking at...

11. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Going there on Tuesday so I’ll let you know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alex Denny likes this.
  12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thought it was only open weekends?

13. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

14. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Be interested to see how this pans out. Trips up to stoney from Essex are'nt ideal

15. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Went there this morning. The whole lake has only recently been flooded and does still look like a building site (quarry that has just been abandoned).

At the moment there are only a few portacabins on site but but St Andrews lake has plans for an on site cafe with showers and changing rooms. There are also plans for watersports there but at the other end of the lake. The lake itself is very big, much bigger than Wraysbury or NDAC and up to 38m deep (they’ve only done brief depth scans to date).

From a diving point of view there are a few attractions, a truck, cab and boat which are buoyed and lined but most of the lake is unexplored with rumours of lots of quarry machinery down there.
    SMB diving run the diving centre there, it is embryonic as are all the facilities there. They are planning to install a training platform, sink a caravan, and right the truck which is already down there. Niina from SMB is very friendly and had free hot drinks for us once we surfaced.

In the water it is very apparent that it is a chalk/clay quarry. Steps have been installed, we used them to get it and put or fins on once in the water. The act of putting our fins on kicked up white clouds but the particles seemed quite heavy and cleared quickly. Vis was good (maybe 8m) until we got to about 10m deep and it got dark and snotty very quickly - the kind of snottiness that sucks light out of your torch. I had a quick look in the back of the truck at ~30m but couldn’t see inside the container with my new focus 2 torch so decided against going in. We went down to 35m and the vis was about 2m there, min temp was 6C. On the way back up we swan along the wall which is fairly steep, maybe 60 degrees but pure chalk, there is no fauna or flora at the moment, it is that new.

In summary St. Andrews has a lot of potential, there are a lot of plans for it and I have seen much better vis than we encountered on facebook videos. At the moment its not really suitable for beginners as there are sheer drops to 30m+.

For me living in Reading, its quicker to get to NDAC or the coast so I’m not likely to go again in the near future, possibly next year. If you’re local, it has a lot of potential, its just a bit rough around the edges right now but the owners are friendly, helpful and have lots of plans for the coming year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chimpus, jps, Wibble and 2 others like this.
  16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Think we're off there this Sunday. Must take some deco gas :)

jps likes this.
  17. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

If your going Sunday let me know. If it's ok with you I might tag along

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Absolutely.

Just got an email from Scimitar who are diving the M2 this Saturday at 10:00 and have spaces

19. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

What time is the dive on the m2

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter