1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Human Factors in Diving Skills Course Launched

Discussion in 'Commercial Ad's' started by GLOC, Jan 18, 2016.

1. GLOC

GLOC Member

[​IMG]
    Following the successful pilot of the Human Factors in Diving class last week with Phil Short Technical, Tim Clements, Michael Thomas, Louise Hector and John Kendall, the website https://www.humanfactors.academy/ is now live. The next class is already full (8-9 Feb) but there are classes scheduled for March (2 x UK) and April (2 x USA immediately after TekDiveUSA where I am presenting).

We spend time and money trying to get in-water skills nailed and buy the best equipment we can, but until now, no-one has really considered teaching Human Factors skills to improve personal performance and safety as a consequence, ironic considering that most incidents and accidents are down to variations in human performance or human error as it more commonly known.

If you want to attend a course and its not on the list, please get in touch. I am aiming to run at least one class a month and hope to run more. More than happy to travel to your location if you can get enough people interested.

Mako-JD, Doomanic and Andy Stevenson like this.
  2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Is it a dry course?
    Is the price per person or per course?

3. GLOC

GLOC Member

Yes, a dry course and a per-person price.

edit: just updated the page to clarify the price and location.

4. timmyg

timmyg Active Member

How much is the course in real money mate? Not some foreign flip flops.

TG

GLOC likes this.
  5. GLOC

GLOC Member

£500 is the going rate, but the software I am using is in development at the moment (does far more than I need it to at the moment) and credit card transactions are in USD. I can do bank transfers at £500. Details on request.

6. timmyg

timmyg Active Member

Cheers dude. I'll see if the AEC will approve an SLC application

GLOC likes this.
  7. GLOC

GLOC Member

If the current dates don't work, visit the site and subscribe to the newsletter. As new dates are suggested or confirmed, or new posts added, I will send out a newsletter letting people know. You can also subscribe to the Twitter feed here

On the site there are also videos form previous conferences and club presentations on the role of human factors in diving incidents which are free to viewable.

I have also been questioned about the price being a little steep for individuals...bear in mind that some of the overheads are for an office space or classroom to deliver the training in, so if you can provide facilities to run the class, then the cost will be less...

Regards

8. GLOC

GLOC Member

I have just had one of the attendees cancel for Monday. Pretty legitimate excuse - his house purchase chain is on the line due to inflexibility of someone in the chain wanting to exchange today and complete by next week!

As such, there is another space on Monday.

Location is The Diver Medic HQ, Brentford London. The session kicks off at 09:00. If you are interested and can get the time off work at short notice, the cost is £100. Lunch and refreshments during the day are included (no pasties, sorry!).

If you are interested, please contact me via email gareth@humaninthesystem.co.uk and I will email over the joining instructions which includes all the information you will need.

Regards

9. GLOC

GLOC Member

Two brief interviews from Cat Braun, owner Tekstreme Diving and Richard Walker, Technical Training Director, GUE about their experiences on the Human Factors Skills in Diving course I ran two weeks ago at Chantelle's The Diver Medic in London. If you want to know why you should do this course, watch this short clip

Dates for courses are listed here https://www.humanfactors.academy/pages/human-factors-skills-in-diving-course-dates, the number of spaces on each class is listed next to the entry.

I now have around 8+ hrs of video to go through to show people what the class itself is like, both the theory sessions and the practical missions.

Regards