1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New dry suit

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Sarnia, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Sarnia

Sarnia New Member

Hi guys i'm new to the forum and looking at making my first dry suit purchase and seeking any advice and insight really.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to an otter atlantic mtm and would be looking at having a kubi fitted system, sitech neck and possible pee valve. Would anyone advise on if having a pee valve would be more beneficial than a convenience zip and also turbo boots or rock boot system. Any other advice or insight would be welcome and also open to alternative membrane suits of similar value.

2. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Otter make fantastic suits.

Definitely go for a Pee valve rather than a convenience zip (which you can't use whilst still in the water)

Sarnia likes this.
  3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Hi Sarnia
    I have a convenience zip that I've never used as it is definitely not convenient (without going into detail :jawdrop:). I also had a minor leak for a couple of dives that I traced to the zip being slightly open. If and when the suit goes back for some other reason, I'll get it removed.
    I'm very much a recreational diver and, for dives up to an hour, I reckon I can manage without a pee valve. It looks a bit too medical to me!

Sarnia likes this.
  4. splinter

splinter Active Member

Another vote for otter. I've got a britannic mk2. The service from otter is fantastic and the suits are well made.

Pee valve, not zip.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sarnia likes this.
  5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Just been loading up my discount cash back cards through BSAC plus and noticed that there is a 15% discount on Otter Suits in the main site - available to April 2020.

Sarnia likes this.
  6. Sarnia

Sarnia New Member

Thanks for the replies, i guess otter is the right choice to go for along with the pee valve. I won't be able to make the trek to otter to be measured in person or try a suit on. would you say that the mtm is pretty good as to fitting?

I'm not currently a BSAC member but for an additional 15% off it probably makes sense to sign up and take advantage of the deal and make more dive buddies too :)

7. kevin b

kevin b Member

If your getting sitech silicone seals beware they tear very easily, easy to replace If you have spares & no dives lost waiting for repairs

Sarnia likes this.
  8. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I have silicone seals, and they're great! I do have a set of spares in my toolbox.

Sarnia likes this.
  9. splinter

splinter Active Member

Give them a call. They are very helpful and I'm sure will talk you through measuring up. Dont worry about the 15% discount. If you're ringing them anyway, haggle and they'll do you a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sarnia likes this.
  10. Sarnia

Sarnia New Member

It turns out that i will be getting a good deal as i live in Guernsey and Otter remove the Vat, saves a fair bit of money. I spoke with Otter and John has said they have Otter dealerships on island, or i also have the option of dealing direct. I must say they are incredibly helpful and courteous from the outset, they even said the mtm might not need to be necessary and can save on that if the measurements correspond with the off the peg sizes. I already feel much more confident that i'm making the right choice now.

splinter likes this.
  11. korsakof

korsakof Member

I prefer the suit with neoprene socks are cheaper, more confortable and you can fit in any boot. I have 2 pair of converse high top as rockboots.