1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New dry suit... New fins

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by georgedavo, Mar 28, 2018.

1. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Hi,

I’ve just been measured for a new dry suit and the new boots are too big for my current fins.

Has anyone had experience with both the Apeks RK3 HD and Scubapro Jet Fins?

I’ve always dived with a really old pair of US Divers Rocket Fins which are as stiff as a board, but I’m used to them, which of the fins above are stiffer?

Cheers!

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Who did you get measured with and what suit?

Boots can be non-thermal, thermal, large welly types and neo-socks with rockboots of which their
    are several types and all different sizes.

3. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Seaskin, and they’re the standard style of dry suit boot for a neoprene drysuit i think.

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Standard as fitted to neoprene drysuits - lined fitted boots
    http://www.seaskin.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...Suit-Boot--Spare--BEAVER_BNDSPARE.html#SID=11
    http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/SeaskinUltraDS.html

Sock and boot option with the stupidly priced Aqualung
    http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Neoprene-Drysuit-Options---Boots-and-Socks.html

Half the price :)
    http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Rock-Boots---Velcro-Two-Straps-OTT001_Rockboots.html

If you really like the fins you have now, might be worth comparing the fit of all the above first.

5. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Yup the 1st ones are the ones I’ve ordered, fitted directly to the suit.

I’m not opposed to getting new fins, just since I’m used to stiff fins I was wondering which are the stiffest.

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

You are unlucky, mine fit my Seaskin crushed neoprene, although they are a bu**er to get off. I tried some

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Can’t speak for Apeks but the jets are lovely. I’d say there stiff enough and negative , no ankle weights needed near jets.

The HD version are the heavier of the RK fins. If you fancy black go jets. If you fancy colour the apeks are in colour this year.

8. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Cheers! I’d probably end up with black either way... I’m a bit boring in that respect!

9. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Apeks RK3 HDs are a good buy, stiff and weighty without being too heavy. Personally I prefer the spring strap on the apeks than the jets, it has a nice big pull tab and the fittings are more secure - although the few I know who use jets swear by them.