1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New diver checking in

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by AdsDiving833, Aug 9, 2017.

1. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

Morning all,

I'm Adam and I stumbled across this community though a search engine, letting people know I'm an OWD in training, and hope to complete my training by the end of August.

Got the bug really bad and can't wait to get diving qualified and get dives building up in my log book and really love the idea of Liveaboards and diving all week whilst in awesome surroundings.

Currently from a small town nearish Blackpool in the NW of England, but diving up at Capernwray whilst getting qualified.

Looking to do my AOWD soon after, Nitrox, Wreck and Rescue as soon as I can after.

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Adam. If you've got any questions or need anything clarified or even if you just want ot chat diving then ask away.

3. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

Thanks JB,

I'm mostly a lurker but would welcome buddy's to dive with once I am qualified to get some time in under my belt :)

4. Cornish Joss

Cornish Joss New Member

Welcome. Enjoy your course! Great hobby to have!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

5. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

Thanks Joss,

After pricing up kit and equipment that I'll likely need in my hobby, it is certainly an expensive one! :D

6. Cornish Joss

Cornish Joss New Member

Only at first.. once the big buys are done it becomes quite cheap (depending how often you pay for boat trips!) I've enjoyed having my own kit for a long time.. now the misses has started the cost has gone up again :-/

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

7. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

I've invested in a Snorkel, Fins, Mask already and Suunto Vyper Novo dive computer.

I've been gen'ing up on BCD's, regs and wetsuits too and they're on another level price wise! Haha!

Still, all very exciting learining about new brands and tech. So much to choose from. :eek:

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Look at Apeks ATX40's for regs, pretty cheap and pretty decent. Wetsuit (Or maybe a drysuit would be better) is all about fit. BCD's are things that can quite sensibly be bought second hand and there are some good savings to be had doing it that way.

As for it getting cheaper as time goes by.......you just want more and more kit and typically the kit gets more expensive. I'm just about to spank £2k on some :(

9. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

Yeah I'm researching regs. I want to be able to do most of my Scuba in the UK, so I'm looking at regs like the XTX50 and DS4 combo, both of which are highly rated for quality and cold water use.

I'm thinking a medium thickness wetsuit and a drysuit. They are very expensive so I'm thinking one of each for general use should cover most of the year.

My last 2 OWD's are in Drysuits so I'm hoping to get a feel for the comfort and fit of them when I do those on the last week of this month.

I used a Mares BCD for my last CWD and I felt the buoyancy was a lot more balanced that the others I'd used before that one, although other peoples mileage may vary.

Loving all the options and configs so far. At some point I'll need a dual tank setup in years to come so I'm trying to future proof my kit really, rather than buy entry level kit for everything.

Which are the best priced equipment stores in the UK?

Mikesdivestore seems very good for selection and customising reg setups, but a tad more epensive than others I've seen.

10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't rush into things too quickly, yes you may progress onto a twinset but diving a single cylinder may last you years. If you really want to futureproof your kit and are already thinking of twinsets then look at a wing and backplate rather than a BCD. It's a more modular approach.

XTX50 is fine but an ATX40 will be cheaper and do the same thing (Same internals). The only thing the 50's add is the twiddly knob that you never twiddle and the only real thing the XTX offers over the ATX is the ability to route the reg from the left or the right. Buy your regs from here (https://4thelement-diving.co.uk/). Good prices online but possibly better prices over the phone.

For wetsuit AND drysuit, that could be good for holidays but in the UK on only dive a drysuit. Maybe you only need a good drysuit and could get by with a cheap'o wetsuit for holidays.

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with a wetsuit - different places, different requirements. UK, dry suit all year with different kit underneath depending on season, Madeira, 5mm with hood, Barbados, 2mm shortie (I dived in long-sleeved t-shirt and swimming trunks). Not sure about liveaboards, but holiday dive centres provide all the kit normally, the quality you borrow will depend on the location and dive centre, but even if your wetsuit is a bit manky, it won't spoil your dive. Unless you are a very odd size, they will find something suitable. I agree with the others, pace yourself - think about the skills you need to work on next and get what you need for that e.g. AOW, torch for night dive (and bringing back colour at depth) and compass for navigation.
    Be assured, whatever you buy, there will always be something else that you must have - there is no end. :whistling: If it is your photo and not your grandson, you have many years of diving ahead of you. Welcome to the forum - always three conflicting answers for any question, but you will be able to filter lots of useful advice as I've done.

12. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

Thank you, I was more thinking of twinsets for wreck diving when I get that far, but that would be a couple of years down the line I expect. Those sorts of skills don't happen overnight by the reading I've done.

You guys are probably right about the drysuit. and giving a miss to the wetsuit. I'll do my drysuit training and get a feel to how it feels with whatever underneath and possible undergarments for extremes of temp.

WRT the XTX50's, I'd read they were top notch internally, even compared to the sucessors XTX100 and 200. I must admit, not knowing too much about the 40's other than they never seem to mention about cold water appropriate, whereas the 50's do, so that's why I discounted the XTX40 off the bat. There's some savings to be had there then by the sounds of it.

Yes, a good torch I have considered but not yet looked into. I'll have a good dig into those when I think about night diving and what the better makes are and reliable tech.

What are your thoughts on DS's versus turrets? Is the extra point of failure on the turret a worry, or is it negligible at best? I know people like turrets as the hose routing sounds like it is better from what they seems to be saying, but the DS4 looks solid. Sorry, this appears to be going a bit off topic talking about equipment.

Thanks for the good input guys!

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Going off-topic is what these forums are all about.

I don't use turrets but I know others that do, it's fine either way.

Apeks T/TX regs = Solid regs but old and large.
    Apeks AT/ATX = Newer than TX. Smaller second stage than TX.
    Apeks XTX (I don't know if they do an XT) = Newer than ATX. Has the ability to route from left or right. Internally the same components as AT/ATX (I think).

Anything with an X at the end of the name (TX, ATX, XTX is cold water compatible). It has a heat eXchanger on the second stage and will be sold with a dry sealed first stage.

40 = Basic reg, fine for most people
    50 = Adds a twiddly knob to the second stage, same first stage as 40
    100 = 'better' first stage to the 40/50, same second stage as the 50
    200 = 'better' first stage to the 100 (replaceable HP seat I think), same second stage as the 50

(This 'better' first stage may or may not be better for your needs)

Wibble likes this.
  14. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

Great info again, espeially regarding the 'X' meaning.

Thank you again for all your info, very detailed and consise, and to the warm welcome from the others. I think I will like it here! :D

15. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Frankly I'm bored at work so talking diving is more entertaining than trying to look busy.

16. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

I know that feeling....I'm shopping and researching to relieve my boredom! :smuggrin

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome to the forum:)

Regs; definitely recommend the Apeks. The good thing about these is they'll last your entire diving career regardless of the diving you'll do. So money well spent. They're also good value for money IF you don't get suckered into the 100, 200 or the new military range. You seriously can't beat the ATX40 & DS4. These will work for your initial singles rig - one DS4, two ATX40s- and then if you go into twinsets you just add one additional DS4 and voilla!

Drysuits; frankly a must for UK diving. Good news is you can use these abroad with a thin or no undersuit. Foreigners might give you funny looks, but they'll laugh on the other side of their faces if the water gets colder after a storm (memories of a guy in a shortie last year taking the piss out of my drysuit... after a storm stirred the deep, cold water up, he was last seen laying in the bottom of the rib with a space blanket trying to warm up, vengeance was mine!).

You can get second-hand drysuits, but make sure they fit, and make sure you have the ability to do a test dive or get a non-leaking guarantee from the seller. Given how much difference it makes to your diving, I'd recommend getting a new cheaper suit. Yes it's a big outlay, but you've got one that fits and a warranty.

Definitely buy second hand for the BCD. They're a bag of wind and aside from staying inflated, there's little else to them. Cheap!

The main thing is to ask on here before buying something. It'll save a shed-load of money! Oh, and beware of the Local Dive Shop bargain; again ask on here (don't need to mention the LDS, just the prices).

It's a great hobby with some wonderful experiences. Diving in the UK is colder and darker, but so rewarding.

18. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

Thanks Wibble,

Lots of info again there to go at. What are the decent makes of Drysuit, or are they pretty much all of a muchness?

I see Typhoon and Aqualung cropping up a lot of the websites.

19. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

The best thing about diving is the requirement to get up very early travel for miles whilst it is still dark only to find that the dive has been canned due to inclement weather on the coast. On the joys of UK diving.

pgarrish likes this.
  20. AdsDiving833

AdsDiving833 Member

You're not selling this to me