1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New diver asking for some advice

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Nicholas.Paul, Mar 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nicholas.Paul

Nicholas.Paul New Member

Hello
    I want to become a diver .. as i have arleady first star diver (cmas) did like a hobby(apparently the best thing that i did in my life).Where i can make some training but whit an employment after the training.Sory for my english (not a Uk citizen)
    Just asking about some information .. jobs .. don't know.

Thank you very much

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

You want to work as a diver ?? if that's in training Padi is the way. If you want to weld you need commercial.

3. Nicholas.Paul

Nicholas.Paul New Member

Yes, i want to work as a diver, don't really care what, im new so i'll take the first possibility i can take to become a diver.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Generally there's not much money in diving. It's often said that the way to make a small fortune from diving is to start with a big one.

Starting out it's really PADI. The bottom of the ladder is the DiveMASTER who is a general assistant in the shop and can help instructors and lead dives. Then you can move on to become an instructor, etc. You won't make much more than minimum wage, or less.

What you will get is fun and frolics doing a season abroad, much like working as a travel guide or chalet cleaner.

Generally the DiveMASTERS either pay the shop to work there or you need other skills, such as languages, technical skills, boat handling, mechanical skills, etc.

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome, Nicholas - where do you come from? As mentioned, there is no money in it but my experience is that most guys in dive centres are enjoying themselves - there are worse things than a job that you love!

6. Nicholas.Paul

Nicholas.Paul New Member

''Generally the DiveMASTERS either pay the shop to work there'' That don't sound so well.(I know French, im an ex-military and have a couple of skills + can learn everything really fast)
    I'm from Romania.Ass long as i can live from that money until i gain experience and move to something better it's not a problem with me, the problem is that if i give money to take a course who will employ me .. no experience=no job (Already tried it as Mso maritime security Operator)

7. joe90

joe90 Member

Hi Nicholas,

I wouldn't worry about your English, so far everybody understands just fine. There are more important things than grammar after all (not an invite for some stupidity about the use of their, there and they're).

I've never worked as a diver, I have always worked in the adventure sector. I'm a climbing, caving, kayaking..... instructor. I'm currently based in Oman and its fair to say wherever you go in a job you love, the pay isn't great.
    The last six months has turned my life upside down and I'm considering chucking it all in, doing my DM and traveling like that for a while to sort myself out. It won't be good money, but you can travel and from all the people I know who have done similar, they really enjoyed it.

J

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk