1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Iain Denham, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

New?

2. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

no not new done a small amount of dives no marks all in excellent condition up to date software, so bargain?

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Around £150 off new (or more depending where you shop) so yes, a pretty good deal. Earlier Petrels can be had for less but then they are older and are missing some features

Iain Denham likes this.
  4. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

I have an eon core, which works as a wonderful bottom timer.

Wibble likes this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

:)
    If only they had proper algorithms where you could choose your dive planner....

Harvey-NG likes this.
  6. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

If only they had an algorithm that wasn't broken...

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Does the EON have a screwed up MOD calculation too? e.g. 28% = 40m in normal terms, but 38.3m in made up Suunto terms

dose / mix = MOD (actually pressure in bar or ATA)
    1.4 / 0.28 = 5 = 40m

Apparently the discrepancy is some "added conservatism" which they've pulled out of their jacksies.

8. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

My mate, on his OSTC, was diving with a buddy on trimix. They got to 21m, gas switched and the buddy's Eon didn't want a stop. They did at least 3 minutes at 21m, went up to 18m and the Eon wanted 2 mins. Its ceiling calculations are weird.

9. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

I've heard many things, but the one I believe is that it rounds the percentage mix and depth both up and down respectively to form a worse case scenario and gives the MOD based on that. Apparently I can't analyse gas accurately or stay within the MOD without the added help of a computer...
    Personally, my level of conservatism is using a max ppo2 of 1.3 instead of 1.4 - which is a conservative maximum in itself anyway.

I don't, and never will trust the suunto, it's fine for no stop stuff but past that I'm backing myself up with proper deco planning before hand anyway. I'm not lying when I tell you the thing spends at least 70% of its time in gauge mode...

10. speed098

speed098 Member

Was looking at the Suunto Eon core and steel comps from comments here glad I did not buy one. I managed to get an Oceanic VTX with just the 2 test dives but ex-display for a really great price and hopefully will be a good backup when I eventually upgrade in a year or two.