1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Iain Denham, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Recommendations please, I am looking for a new computer must have:

1. Under £600
    2. Big bright screen
    3. I wont use "gadgets" so no fancy bits I wont use.
    4. Air/Nitox/|Trimix
    5. Dont mind second hand

2. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

There’s only really two choices IMO - My preference is OSTC, others prefer Shearwater... there’s nothing between them really...

Keep an eye out on eBay, but both are like rocking horse sh*t second hand, but they don’t come up occasionally

I’ve got an older 2n model, which does everything I need - expect to pay around £300-350 for one of those... newer models, and Shearwaters closer to £500-550...

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What he said.

I too use an OSTC (Old OSTC mk2 for me) but Shearwater Petrel/Perdix are also popular.

4. splinter

splinter Active Member

Another OSTC user here. I had an old mk 2, which the screen died on recently and replaced it with a new one. HW did me a good deal as they couldn't fix the mk 2. Having had a look at shearwaters on the surface, I'd be just as happy with one of them.

I also have an old VRX that I use as a backup sometimes, but that definitely doesn't have a big bright screen and is a bit clunky to use.

I saw a OSTC 2c for sale on facebook recently for £350. They don't seem to come up for sale that often.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Shearwater here; agree with others. Particularly keen on the single AA battery it uses -- lasts a long time and simple to replace.

Definitely don't recommend any of the Suunto colour computers as these use a made-up deco algorithm that results in much more deco time if you dive with people using "standard" Buhllmann gradient factor algorithms. (Suunto's keep you on-gassing deeper which is penalised by Buhllmann on the last stop)

Other computers to look at: Ratio, Tecline (new one from Poland). Not used them nor seen one on a boat.

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I wasn't aware TecLine made a computer.

The Ratio computers have one nice feature I like, they log GPS coordinates for the dive and I like that. I don't really like their display too much and they don't look as nice to use though. Hopefully this will be a feature that trickles down to other brands.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I heard about the TecLine computer on the dive boat the other day where a guy was saying he's just updated the firmware on his and it added loads of new features. Just tried to Google it but nothing found....

New features random wishlist...

Would be nice to be able to control the computer from "An App" on your dog where you could upload the settings, gasses, etc. to the computer. Maybe along with basic dive details (location, etc.) which would be displayed on the computer or pulled down later.

A digital compass which you set the datum and it points in that direction. Just a simple arrow to follow; no compass card and numbers.

Ability to download something to read to take away the boredom of long deco stops! Probably would need a bigger screen though.

Camera, like a phone camera, where you could use it for simple snaps/videos.

8. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

we dive with someone who has the new aqualung i300c. Uploads all the dive details to her phone over bluetooth (no expensive flipping cable needed). I think it'll take a transmitter, but its a nice big screen (I have the old i300 which is the same size and its not cluttered either). No idea if it does trimix, it does nitrox so it might...

9. Iain Denham

So seems like Shearwater or OSTC then?

Whats the difference between the Petrel and the Perdix?

The OSTC 2 2017 model seems to come in under my budget so if there is no discernible difference then this must be the way to go?

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Petrel's older and slightly larger. Both Perdix & Petrel take same software so offer identical functionality. Only a gnat's tadger difference in screen size. Perdix is a bit more modern/slick, but the fish don't care. Petrel's slightly cheaper if you ever find one online.

Perdix has the "AI" version if you want to pay £100 extra to use a £300 tank pressure sensor.

One guy I dive with has both; dives with both, one as backup. Bought the Petrel afterwards.

Iain Denham likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

12. Iain Denham

Thanks for that list now just to find one at the right price...

13. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

14. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

You're not very observant, two of us had them on our wrists at the weekend.

www.divecomputer.eu

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Rats. Remember chatting about it but didn't see one on the wrist as it were.

How do you find it in use?

16. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

I've done about 30 dives with it and it's been fine. I'm using it as a backup to my OSTC. It does have a few things that are a bit stupid but I've still got version 3.1 of the firmware. 3.3 is out but the new ones are shipping with 4.0 but that isn't on the site for download yet, so I was waiting for that before bothering. So they're not really that important, but mine stays in dive mode on the surface if the contacts remain wet, whereas speaking to the other guy with one, the new ones don't. And mine only does TTS using the backgas until you switch whereas the new ones do it on all gases, though interestingly this is an option. So if you had two, you could set one to use all gases, one to just use the current gas showing you your bailout. Obviously as soon as you switch to deco gas, they would both show the same TTS.

They're a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Looking at the website, seems quite a good proposition and a lot cheaper than the Shearwater + OSTC equivalents.

Very interesting to see the "Pure Buhlmann" mode. Screenshots of the Gradient Factors seem to be arse about face: 80:35 when they probably mean 35:80? (e.g. lowest first).

Like the buttons on the bottom as they won't clout another computer next to it and it should be a lot more comfortable to press, as opposed to contorting one's arm with side-mounted buttons.

18. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

Trouble with having both the buttons on the bottom is that it's not that easy to press both at one when it's on your arm though it is perfectly possible. That's how you switch it on/off and access the emergency gf screen underwater.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

19. Iain Denham

I ended up getting the Shearwater Petrel 2 for £500.

Wibble and splinter like this.