1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never attach a rope to yourself when filling a bucket with water on a moving boat

Discussion in 'Brag Forum' started by Dave Whitlow, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Against my better judgement, I recently rejoined my local BSAC club, to assist with their instructor shortage and have now entered myself for the club award 'Muppet of the Year'.

I'll share this as I suspect many others might have done the same......

We dived a rich part of Lulworth Banks and after 30 minutes I'd filled my sack with good sized scallops. A good-sized spider crab offered itself but the bag was too full to accommodate so I attached a lift bag to the scallops and sent them to the surface.

On the way back into harbour I took my turn to check the scallops for size, emptying them onto the deck and testing them against the 'scallop ring'. Two went back whilst 110 stayed on the boat so I gave 10 to the skipper and returned 100 to my bag.

Looking at the mess on the deck I picked up a large black bucket with attached rope and proceeded to fish for water at the back of the boat. We've all done this many times and usually the bucket bounces on top of the water and is annoying to fill. In this case the bucket went under and was transformed into a sea anchor behind a boat travelling at 14 knots.

I had, rather foolishly, wrapped the rope around my wrist and abruptly found myself with my right thigh against the lift, left hand holding the lift and right arm outstretched and attached to the sea anchor whilst I was looking down at the wash contemplating my situation. I was able to disengage the rope and the boat stopped quickly. The bucket was not recovered and nor was my dignity.

My hand didn't enjoy the experience and medical inspection confirmed no lasting harm seems to have occurred.

Lesson Learnt:

Never attach a rope to yourself when filling a bucket with water on a moving boat.

In my defence, I feel the carefully spliced loop on the end of the rope (probably quite helpful if bailing out a sinking boat) enticed me into making a stupid decision.

At least the weather forecast for the next few days is rubbish so I'll not be missing any diving!

jps and Flobberdob like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oops!

Also much easier to fill a bucket from the side of the boat than over the stern.

3. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Send that into Scuba Magazine. You could win a computer !!!

barrygoss, NickPicks and Dave Whitlow like this.
  4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Glad your ok , gave me a larf! Sorry

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Lucky you, even on a sailing boat at five knots, you have to be careful - as Wibs says, easier from the side than the stern. Mind you, the handles on those buckets would have been the first thing to give way!