1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neoprene wrist seals

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by JohnL, Oct 4, 2018.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

It seems a common problem to get water seeping into the arm with neoprene, particularly the left that you are using the inflater. Someone gave me a tip on Sunday, to pull the wrist seal up the arm slightly and then pull the sleeve over it, to form a cuff. I tried this and, on the second dive, I finished with my left arm thermals slightly damp rather than wet - which was probably from the first dive. So simple, just have to remember to do it before I jump in.

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

They should have shown you this when you were taught drysuit and having latex is not an excuse,
    courses are meant to explain common variants :p

The seal on neo is often too long and is commonly left over the edge of the wrist. This not only stretches
    the end but reduces the contact area on the wrist proper creating a slight void right where the veins are.

Like you've found the seal is pulled right back so it's on the wrist proper and any excess is formed into
    a cuff. If using wet gloves these are now tight against seal and the end tucked into the cuff :)

3. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

can you post a piccy please so I know what you mean? I don't have much trouble with my neoprene seals (once I had them tightened!) but it might come in useful

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

This is latex, but same principle. The cuff in the pic is a bit low as that's defined by where it's fixed, but on a neo you
    can have it a bit higher and unlike the pic where the edge of the seal here is more on the hand it will be on the wrist.

5. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

ta, i thought that's what you meant