1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new suit

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by pgarrish, Nov 8, 2017.

1. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

Not so much worried about being over weight, more that 14Kg isnt very comfy. The dive on friday went very well with 14 but the belt was slipping at the end of each dive so I've taken the plunge and ordered a load of shot for me and my wife so we can have our own weights. She's looking at a pouch belt (beaver pro) and i'm hoping to get a 2nd hand harness from a mate so i'm not struggling with a heavy belt. I put 2 kg in each BCD pocket so needed 10Kg on the belt which was OK but starting to come loose on both dives.

For anyone interested, Lumb Bros on ebay are doing 25Kg of shot delivered for £120 :) Since most shops charge 8-9 per Kilo thats a billy bargain

As for gloves, I'm OK with wet gloves just now, but will look into the ND dry gloves later in the year. I'll get them to fit them since it seems silly relying on my shocking DIY skills to save £20 when the point is to stay dry :)

2. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

I borrowed a Beaver harness this friday, and all the shot had arrived so I had bags of shot too.
    Once again, the importance of a weight check was highlighted - I forgot... and promptly descended a bit quick and stuck to the bottom.... After fighting my way back up and out, I dumped 2 Kg and did a weight check - much better. But I'd signalled to the rest of the party to go without me so I got out and waited.... and counted my pouches.... and discovered I had gone in with 18 not 14Kg.. No wonder I'd been a bit heavy!

A second dive with 14KG as planned went MUCH better :) so that appears to be the right weight with 2 layers of under gear. Here's hoping to go a bit lighter soon as the water wamrs up and layers can be shed.

3. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Just out of curiosity, can anyone recommend a soft weight system. I was diving with an Aqualung axiom and the Rapture harness system was pushing the hard weights into my hips, no issues under water, but agony walking on land.

4. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Wrapture*

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Just buy bags or shot weight rather than blocks of lead

pgarrish likes this.