1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new suit

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by pgarrish, Nov 8, 2017.

1. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

There also the issue of volume. More people buy £500 suits than £2000 suits and so you will invariably see more complaints.

Whether this means a higher percentage of people are dissatisfied with cheap suits is unknown.

Likewise, the internet has a long memory. ND had a teabag reputation and people will continue to repeat this even if they have no direct or recent experience. A guy in my club has an ND suit and has been dry more than most.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My ND suit was fine. Great value too at £450.
    Have heard of people commissioning a bespoke made to measure suit and having fit and leaking problems.

3. splinter

splinter Active Member

Just had a post from Otter pop up on my Facebook feed. They're having a clearance sale from 25th November until 2nd December.

Might be worth the OP checking out if you're anywhere near Bradford.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pgarrish likes this.
  4. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

Cheers. I’m in preston so otter’s not too far away. Depends if I get trigger happy tomorrow

splinter likes this.
  5. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

Well there’s a shock.... new suit ordered, minor tweaks being done and I collect my ND divemaster neoprene drysuit next Friday hopefully

For interest I tried in the HIP front entry suit and almost dislocated my head.... not for me with a dodgy shoulder/neck. It was ok when on but seams rubbed under my armpits, but getting out was also very uncomfortable so no good.

Tried the cortex with rear zip and that was much better. A fairly good fit but again uncomfortable under the arms for me.

The divemaster was spot on except the legs are a bit long (so getting trimmed) and the neoprene neck seal was too long (I have a short neck) so that’s being cut too.

Briefly looked at dry gloves but will see how I get on with the wrist seals (pos a bit loose) and the suit as a while before spending more.

Got half price thermicore 2 piece undersuit to go with it so hopefully can test drive it all next Friday

Thanks for all the advice but the convenience is important for me rather than the ultimate deal. I like the idea of being able to meet face to face if anything needs fixing.

What’s the usual increase in weighting from membrane to neoprene?

splinter likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Glad you've got your suit sorted.

A bit of a difference. But you'll have other things changing too: undersuit, etc. So be prepared for a couple or four kilos on your weight check.

7. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

Could be fun...

8. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

To be honest, it was always likely to be a case of buying from ND unless I couldn’t find something...

9. splinter

splinter Active Member

Nice one. Glad you got sorted.

For the weighting, going the other way, compressed neo to membrane, I've dropped 2kg but still need to do a weight check as I felt a bit overweight still.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

10. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

Hoping I won’t need an extra 2kg but if I do, I do... I’ve gone from a onesie style undersuit to a 2 piece fitted effort so I’m hoping that’s less buoyant but we’ll have to see

11. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

Pick it up tomorrow-anyone at Eccy Delph ?

12. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

Well no issues with weight but I didn’t get away with the ‘too easy to get on’ wrist seals and got soggy arms, so they are being taken in. Found the suit easy to get on/off and comfy once on. Can’t comment on warmth really but we still managed over 50 mins . Looking forward to a proper dry dive soon though

splinter likes this.