1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neck irritation by wetsuit collar

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Steppenwolf, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

A minor but persistent annoyance that I get is irritation of the back of my neck by even a slightly displaced velcro strap of any wetsuit while diving. Any simple tip to stop this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Flyingspanner

Flyingspanner Well-Known Member

How about putting a thin rash vest under your wetsuit,

3. Steppenwolf

I have thought about it, but am not quite sure if the vest's collar extends above that of the wetsuit. I'll check it out, thanks.

4. PeteStewart

PeteStewart Never wrong, but not always right

Most rash vests have high collars to help alleviate just this problem. Alternatively, remove the velcro or move it down the suit a tad.

5. Ovey

Ovey Member

Most rash vests have a reasonably high collar, but I've actually had one in the past that was long and had to be turned down like a '70s turtle neck! (Fortunately without the psychodelic colours of that era)! They are out there.

Hope this helps!

6. sira

sira New Member

or you can glue a small flap of neoprene to the out side that you can fold over the neck and tuck down your back this would help I should think?

7. Flyingspanner

Flyingspanner Well-Known Member

Rash vests on Tesco Direct look like they have a high collar

8. sazza

sazza New Member

hazard of diving i think, i always suffer with this abroad, try slathering the area with a good thick barrier cream, i remember willo's neck was raw on the last tala trip, mine suffered too, and i always find the velcor tears half my hair out......and even if your hairs out the way at the start of the dive it escapes and binds to the velcro throught the dive without fail!!!!!!

9. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

What is it about dive gear manufacturers and velcro? After afew uses the ability to stick to itsself is significantly reduced BUT it's ability to pull out hair by the roots is undeminished :mad:

Surely they can invent a better product, which holds itsself together without sticking to everything else in the process?

10. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Do you guy's have wet suits that fastern from the rear.

Step Im gob smacked that being a Doctor you have not thought of using the Magic of TUBI GRIP

why not wear a small collar neck of tubi grip if your vest does not extend heigh enough

11. Steppenwolf

No thanks AG. I really don't like the idea of something close fitting all around my neck even if it is not too tight. For that reason, I'll keep the rash vest as a second choice.

Thanks for all the tips, people. I think I'll try a slight modification of Sira's idea; stitch in a small square of recepient velcro an inch or so below the existing one so that the strap is further down from the top edge of the suit. Thanks Sira.

12. sira

sira New Member

Alway like to help, if I can.