1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mv Tala June 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Phil O, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Phil O

Phil O Member

This was a great trip for loads of reasons of which I will tell more when I am less tired. We were joined on the trip by Jesper Kjoller, who is the managing editor of Dyk magazine - Scandanavian diving mag - and a great photographer. He has kindly given some of the shots he took of the trip and you can see them here

http://gallery.osborn.in/#4.8

More later

Phil

2. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

nice pics phil

3. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

[​IMG]

AG eyed the DIR probe and looked forward to it's insertion.:scared:

4. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Quality shins through with that lot, very good shots indeed, looks like you had some great times

5. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

This is a first of many i hope
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ff5q6pMLc

6. Phil O

Phil O Member

I'm not going to go into a detailed trip report but will highlight a few of my memorable events. The UKD contingent was supplemented by Jesper Kjoller of DYK magazine and for the first few days we had two chaps from HEPCA who were travelling to measure the condition of reefs and check on Turtles eggs. For the second half of the week we said good bye to these 2 guys from HEPCA and were joined by 6 Egyptian guests plus the Managing Director of HEPCA - Amr Ali. It was a pleasure to meet Amr and listen to his views on sustainable development in Egypt and the work they are doing on wrecks and reefs. They are fighting hard against unscrupulous boat operators and he took a few photos of boats that did not have the necessary permissions to be in Marine Parks. All in all we had a good bunch plus a really hard working crew, 2 great dive guides - Stein and Foad plus of course the charismatic owner of Red Sea Explorers, Faisal.

The trip was Northern Wrecks and the Brothers - to be honest I was not expecting the Brothers which was a great surprise when Faisal revealed his cunning plan. The sites we dived at included Sha'ab Abu Nuhas, Thistlegorm, Rosalie Moller and both Brothers islands.

Memorable Dives

I have three favourites starting with scootering all four wrecks on Abu Nuhas reef. We started at Giannis D and moved through the Carnatic, Chrisoula K and the Kimon M. A brilliant dive but at one stage I thought that we would not make it as Air Guzzler and Pawel wanted to take pictures of themselves instead.

The next one was the Rosalie Moller. I dived this with Jesper and Faisal scootering the length of the hull twice before entering the ship through the bomb damage on the starboard side going through holds, cabins, store rooms and the engine room. The next buddy team were to use our scooters so instead of waiting to the end of the dive we sent them up on a DSMB to be collected by the Zodiac team so that batteries can be changes. It was a slick bit of operating as we did not connect a reel to the DSMB and relied on the Zodiac team being above us at the right time.

Finally, my best dive ever. Myself Jesper and Faisal dropped onto the wreck of the Aida from a Zodiac each carrying 2 deco bottles and a scooter. We went through the Aida to the prop and scootered round to the Numidia at about 55m. We ascended up the deck of the wreck and did our first deep stop inside one of the holds before pausing at 24m to fine tune the deco calculations with the deco being made mostly on the reef wall as we scootered back to the Tala.

Memorable Event

The most memorable thing I saw on this boat was a smile - not just any old smile of a diver who saw a shark or manta or dolphins but the smile of a diver after Monkey Diving for the first time. When Amanda came back after her very first monkey dive she smiled so much that I knew then that we would see her again on this boat.

The last night was the usual mixture of dancing and jolly good fun which ended in a Limerick competition - luckily I had turned in by then. Thankfully no photos of me dancing on the pole this year.

Memorable Quotes

I started to make a list of funny quotes from people but to be frank after day 2 I was so laid back that I couldn't be arsed, but here's one

In a restaurant on the arrival night Zoglet was having difficulty explaining how he wanted his steak cooked to a new Egyptian waiter.
    Zoglet to Faisal - " What's the word for Rare"
    Faisal - " Rare"
    --------------

There were loads of laughs throughout the week and I'm sure others will be along with more fine lines.

Thanks to everybody on board for great diving and excellent funny bits but particular thanks to Davey Willo for the organising of it and a massive shame that you weren't there. I've been on the boat 3 times now and this trip was undoubtedly the best so far.

7. Coldhands

Coldhands New Member

So it wasn't the Tala actually moored to the Thislegorm wreck itself, then Phil?

8. Air-Guzzler

I to cannot say to much as i am still on cloud 9

but another littel video (scooters)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2-53ek3WYw

Shark Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kcGaazUm9g

9. Phil O

Phil O Member

Goodness no - they had two lines fore and aft on the new mooring points plus I think an anchor. To aid divers getting to the wreck there was a seperate line attached to the Thistlegorm's anchor chain on the starboard anchor winch - not a mooring line although when the current was flowing it did get under tension.

We were extremely well behaved with HEPCA on board and had to hide our chisels and crow bars

10. Air-Guzzler

alittle i felt like a flag at one point

11. Phil O

Phil O Member

The last of my pics can be seen on here

http://gallery.osborn.in/#home

A tad less impressive than Jesper's but I will take lessons

12. camelweed

camelweed New Member

Hi Phil great write up on the trip, the pictures are a real memory to hold on long after the trip. Will have to visit there in 2009.

13. Zok

Zok Member

Sneaky bastards
    [​IMG]

14. Alang

Alang New Member

A truly great trip, thanks Willo for organising, sorry you couldn't make it in the end. So many terrific experiences for me on my first trip to the Red Sea, everyone was great fun and I learned so much it was just unbelievable. Great pictures and write up Phill, should ensure we get a full UKD turn out next time. Just cannot wait for the next trip on Tala, when will it be?

15. Phil O

Phil O Member

They sure are - throughout the trip I had to put up with Zoglet and AG pointing out things to me. I had not a clue what they were pointing out so I just took a shot in the general direction of the finger. Sometimes I got something .. like on these Red Sea Hidey Things

16. Zok

Zok Member

Zoglet can sniff out truffles

17. Air-Guzzler

No wonder with the size of his nose :tongue:

18. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

Sounds like another great Tala trip!

One day I'll join you, one day :thumbup:

19. zoglet

zoglet Member

You can talk you cheeky monkey. Who spotted the crafty little red sea hidey things? and the red sea stripey flat wobbley fish.

Bless him, I knew when he'd seen something because I suddenly saw this insane strobe effect going off in the distance. A number of times I thought he was going to shake the front of his torch off. At first I thought he was OOA, by the end I just casually signalled "OK" back. Probably woulda pissed him off when he actually was OOA :)

Great dives guys and a great week. Thanks to all for the fun times. Big thanks also to Jesper for very graciously making his pics available for us. I imagine many other pros would be more protective of their images. It's nice to have a few really cool mementos.

Check out some of his other pics at http://www.coursedirector.com/fotos.html
    blinkin lovely.

Thanks again to Faisal, Stein, and the rest of the crew. Start saving for the next one!

20. PeterT

PeterT .

With thanks to Phil O you can now see this at www.ukdivers.com/info/trip-reports.asp