1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOD1 courses - unit specific?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

How unit specific is MOD1?

Pondering booking on a course -- with others -- and getting on with it, but not buying a unit for now. Goodness knows which unit I'll end up with in the end, but they're all pretty much the same with the exception of how they're put together.

So for a 5 day MOD1 course, wouldn't 4 of those days be generic and 1 day unit-specific? So if I were to do an Inspo course and then decide on a JJ or Revo, I could do a day's crossover course?

Or doesn't it work like that and you're expected to do another full MOD1...?

Dave Whitlow and jps like this.
  2. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I never done any other course than the inspo course. But the first rebreather course did involve me reading the manual for the inspiration.The theory for pp02, cns and bits like that must be the same but using the unit will be different. I know if I want to use another unit I can do a short cross over course.

Wibble and Dave Whitlow like this.
  3. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Qualification is unit specific. Elements of the course are generic , as lee says above.
    Unit prep , build , resolving issues both surface and dive will differ.
    Cross over courses are possible but in your example , training but not buying / diving I wouldn’t be surprised for an instructor to want to go full course , particularly for a different unit to that originally trained on.

nothing wrong with your idea , but I think you’d be better off training on say an inspo , buy a used unit , knock out a season or 2 on it and if you want to switch sell it , prob for not much less than you bought it for and then cross over to your unit of choice.
    Benefit here is the experience you’ll gain , bouyancy characteristic of ccr , maybe building a good buddy / team environment which you can crack on with on a future unit.

I trained someone last year who was more interested in Diving a meg. They took the opportunity to do mod1inspo with a group they dive with regularly and are happily Diving their inspo building experience and hours. I believe they are still interested in the meg and if they do switch they have had that season or 2 bedding in the skills etc.

lastly , I feel Ccr training is one of those areas where you do the course and then crack on Diving it. Doing the course , leaving it a year or so and you risk forgetting stuff , do a course and jump straight on it or wait.

Wibble, Dave Whitlow and jps like this.
  4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My decision to go CCR happened by the stern of U2511 (Malin Head) as I contemplated my 'buddy' 30m away, swimming away from me and videoing. When I got home I booked my mod 1 having never dived a rebreather and not owning a rebreather.

My instructor (Rich Stevenson) agreed we'd do a slightly extended mod 1 (6 days) and I'd get the recreational trimix cert from day 1. At the end of the course I bought the unit I'd used in training (avoided a hire charge during the course) and I still have it now (much the same as Trigger's Broom is the only one he'd owned).

My 2010 IANTD mod 1 card says 'CCR Inspiration Diver. Qualified to dive the Inspiration Closed Circuit Rebreather for dives requiring up to 15 minutes of decompression to a maximum depth of 160 fsw/48msw'.

If I were to want another unit, and was bothered with the ticket, I'd expect a one or two day crossover, depending on the instructor.

As already said the Inspo is a simple place to start. Second hand units appear often and sell for the same as they can be bought so you'd not lose money if you later changed.

Wibble likes this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thanks so much for those really helpful replies.

I'm in a slightly odd position that the politics of getting a box are more restrictive than doing the training. Yes, it's odd, but cheaper than a divorce :balckeye:

6. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

It is a matter of presentation. CCR offers safety benefits to present at home. Not only do you have more time to deal with any issues, and almost no chance or running out of gas, you are carrying enough bailout gas to end the dive without excitement. My missus appreciated these benefits and was very supportive of my shift to CCR.

#6 Dave Whitlow, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

If only I didn't have a garage full of pushbikes, sailing kit, and gawd knows how much dive kit including 20 cylinders... It's being too toyed up that's the issue.

I'm sure there's something bleeding obvious I could do... eBay for a Dawes Super Galaxy, a mountain bike, and a Dawes mountain-bike style tandem.

The bikes are useful though. Can hang loads of dive kit off them to dry.

8. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Just go rebreather. It so much better

9. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

You could probably sell 16 of them cylinders to start. Maybe just 14 to be conservative.
    Keep a single 15 for an OC you won’t do but handy to decent into dil. Maybe a twin set for a dil bank but you’ll prob flog it in a year or 2.
    So your down to bail out needs. Most Mod1 courses are single bailout. So realistically keep a couple of 7’s and a couple of ally 80’s assuming you’ve got them. Maybe that’s selling 13 dunno can’t do the math. Really all you’ll need is a couple of bailouts. I only own 2 7’s. That my preference though.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Agreed that I'd get shot of the two twinsets, the sidemount 12s and one or two stage tins.

However, they'll just breed more dil cylinders and you need different bailout mixes for the deeper stuff (after I've done the hours). One thing I definitely won't be doing is buying a gooist JJ! Hang on a mo.... I've got a pair of 7's with H valves; perfect for a soft manifold! Must flog those too.

Maybe I need to do a clear out of the garage. March/April would be a good time for that.

jps likes this.
  11. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Groundhog Day. :(

jps, splinter and Wibble like this.
  12. AndyW

AndyW Member

I wrote a lengthy reply to this yesterday but never posted as I'm pretty confident I've already contributed to this conversation in one of it's previous forms...

Having completed MOD2 relatively recently, I think a crossover before that point would be a bit silly. Most people do MOD1, get comfortable on the unit and then do MOD2 (that's why most people buy the unit). There's no point crossing over before you're even comfortable on the first unit.

For what it's worth, I have no intention of "upgrading" from my Vision. It's very capable for UK diving and, imo, diminishing returns beyond it. In fact, since buying the unit, I've stopped "upgrading" any of my kit. I just go diving now. It's nice. I would recommend it.

I did MOD1 with the same TDI instructor I had done OC stuff with. Believe you have done training with him too. I did the course with another guy who had no OC tech quals. If he had completed, he would have got a 30m, air dil, no deco ticket. Someone with AN/DP would have got a 45m, air dil, deco ticket. An OC helitrox/trimix diver would have carried that over.

The TDI Helitrox He limit is now 35%. You can do a fair bit of diving in that first year with 35% mix in your dil. That "backwards step" won't be anything as extreme as you think.

Having read your posts over the last couple of years, you'll also very much enjoy making that time as difficult for yourself as possible. I look forward to the lack of "I'm probably going to buy a unit when I sell this boat" threads and a significant increase in "Is this a good way to fuck up a perfectly good rebreather?" threads.

I bought the unit in advance of the course (second hand) but never did a try dive or anything. It's probably a good job. If the try dive had been anything like my first dives of MOD1 I would never have spent the money. Stopped thinking I was about to die after 10 hours.

Doomanic, Wibble, splinter and 2 others like this.
  13. AndyW

AndyW Member

Wording of both my CCR certs are unit specific btw
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

15. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Just for the record here is the exact wording of mine

mod1 (includes trimix)
    [​IMG]

mod3 (not unit-specific)
    [​IMG]

16. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Entry level CCR courses are definitely unit-specific. If you do an Inspiration course and decide to buy something else, you’ll need to do it all over again (unless you know a guy that will just sign you off for the cost of the cards).

As I understand the current situation, even a MOD3 ticket holder is supposed to fully retrain (from MOD 1) if they crossover. That’s what stopped a long-time Inspo-diving friend buying a JJ back in 2016.

17. splinter

splinter Active Member

So, does that mean you can't do MOD 1 on one unit, then MOD2 on a different one? Or is it down to the instructors discretion?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

18. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Pretty much yes. You may get a cross over but they would be mod 1 - mod1. Build experience then move on to mod 2.

splinter likes this.
  19. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

An experienced friend (>100m) crossed over from an AP to a rEvo and spent a week in Egypt ‘crossing over’.