1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mexico

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by sam51, Nov 24, 2017.

1. sam51

sam51 Member

hi mexico , caribbean or pacific diving.any one done both, which one .thanks.

2. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

hi no not done any. your welcome

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Hi. No. Only done one. You’re welcome.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Only done one too

5. JasonP

JasonP Member

I'm going to Mexico at Easter. I am not planning to get in the sea at all

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

6. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Why go to Mexico and dive in the sea when the have some of the best cave / cavern diving in the world?

welcome btw

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe you are more interested in fish/sea life. Not so much of that in the caves.

8. Derek

Derek New Member

Hi,

I am off to Mexico at Easter, staying at the Moon Palace resort, Cancun. I would like to fit in at least one days diving whilst I am there and also try and arrange for my 11 yr old to do a try dive in the sea.

I am PADI AOW and recently crossed over to Sports Diver. My 11 yr old has carried out two try dives in our local pool with my club.

Can anyone please recommend a local dive center as I would like to book my diving before I go. I was wondering if my 11yr old could do a try dive whilst I did a check out dive?

Thanks!

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Contract Pro Dive Mexico. They are a good bunch and have dive centres attached to hotels up and down that coast. They’ll also probably pick you up if needed.

10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I Derek, I think you might confuse a dive centre with that.

As a PADI AOW you cross over to commence BSAC Sport Diver training and become a Sport Diver after you have completed the course. Until you have completed the Sports Diver course you remain a PADI AOW :)

11. Tony Howarth

Tony Howarth New Member

Pro dive are excellent. Did my idc with them. Go playa del Carmen, get on a ferry to Cozumel, dive one of the best sites on the planet :)
    I think the bull sharks are back off the pier in playa too if you fancy an adrenaline rush ;)
    Happy diving bud

12. JasonP

JasonP Member

I once showed a CMAS 3 star card in Mexico and was asked if it was the same as AOW.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Wibble and Dave Whitlow like this.
  13. Derek

Derek New Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll get in touch with Pro dive and see what they can do. Thanks for the advice also on the qualification. I thought that I could still dive under my AOW qualification, even though I have now completed Sports Diver training and been signed off? I always assumed that it was the best of both worlds just in case the BSAC qualification wasn't recognised (not sure why it wouldn't be though?). Apologies if I seem a bit naive I'm still getting use to the diving rule sand regs!

14. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Derek, you are correct. if you have completed Sports Diver then that is your highest qualification, being comparable with PADI Rescue. However, you do still have, and will always have, PADI AOW if that is the ticket they best understand.

15. Derek

Derek New Member

16. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Contact Jorge at Scorpio Divers: small operation, personalised service, tell him Fat Chris from England sent you. I only dive with him nowadays when we go to Cancun. http://www.scorpiodivers.com/

He has been in business for about ten years, and has a small team working with him. IMHO much better than the the big operations with turnover of staff (some of whom may have less experience than you ... thinking of Aquaworld there).

Scorpio is a SDI operation, and they have great respect for the quality of UK training.

17. Derek

Derek New Member

Hi, Thanks for the replies. I have been in touch with both the recommended dive operators and will most likely go with Scorpio divers as they had the best package for my 11yr old (training plus two dives). I also liked the fact that you only go in at a maximum ratio of 1 : 4. Can't wait now, especially given the weather recently!

furryman likes this.
  18. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Have fun - your biggest issue might be that Scorpio is based at the top end of the hotel zone about 28km from Moon Palace. If you dive Cancun/Isla Mujeres, you will have to grab a cab from your hotel. If you are diving Cenotes, Puerto Morelos (wreck, reefs, better than Cancun), or Cozumel (personally not a fan - too many Septics) then the Scorpio van will pick you up on the way.