1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mexico Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Sidemount_Stu, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I'm booked on a family holiday to Mexico (The Riu Lupita, Play Del Carmen) this summer and am looking to get a few days diving while i'm there.

Obviously i'm looking to dive some Cenotes, and wondered if anyone on here has any positive recommendations (or advice on those to avoid) of who to book with, based on your experiences in the same area?

Any "must do" dives in the area would be appreciated also....

Cheers

Stu.

2. antsussex

antsussex New Member

How funny just come on here to ask more or less the same thing as im going to the iberostar tucan also in playa del Carmen with the wife in June when are you going ? i will probably dive with dressel divers as i did a DSD with them when i was there 3 years ago on my honeymoon and loved that but now im certified can do some better and deeper dives.

Ant

3. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I'm not out there until end of July, beginning of August, never been before though, so really looking forward to it

4. antsussex

antsussex New Member

from the little bit i did it was really good, ive been told some of the best diving is off of Cozumel which is not far by ferry from playa del carmen

5. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

My bad - I never PM'd you did I.

From where you are I would recommend (although I have never dived with them) Underwater Tulum but this may be impossible if you don't have a car. I have stayed a couple of times at the Hard Rock (South of Playa) and the first time dived with a company arranged by the hotel who were excellent but now seem to have gone out of business / have changed names.

The second time I searched for TDI centres and ended up with Akumel.

In terms of Cenotes they are all pretty decent but it all depends on who you dive with. The first time, I was one on one with a cave explorer who was happy to show me a bit more than the standard OW newbies and we had a blast. The second time was more follow the leader - still effing great but not as good.

Personally my favourite was the bat cave - not technical or deep but lots of time underwater and surfacing in a cave full of bats is truly amazing.

Sidemount_Stu likes this.
  6. Cthulhu Divers

Cthulhu Divers New Member

Instructors in the Mexican state are very good at hiding the fact that they have to be very, very wary about taking new customers to the "better" dive sites. To make a long story short: the Mexican government has given much of the land surrounding the cenotes to the indigenous mayan tribes. The entrance fee paid by divers visiting the cenotes is often these Mayans only source of income. Therefore, if they find an instructor has brought a client to their cenote and that client has damaged the cave system in any way, the instructor is at risk of being banned from bringing any further clients to the site.

My recommendation is, if you are planning on diving both Cozumel and cenotes, find a reputable dive shop, tell them that you want to do some cavern diving and then do the Cozumel diving with them first. This will allow you to enjoy some amazing diving with visibility up to 100m (no, I'm not exaggerating) while also essentially participating in a "check out dive" where the instructor will be keeping a close eye on your buoyancy control which will determine which cenote is suitable for your.

I'll leave the cenote recommendations up to whomever you dive with, however with regards to Cozumel: all of the Palancar reefs are amazing - I especially like Horseshoe. However Santa Rosa is just as beautiful and it has a number of swim-thrus which should give you some bonus points with your instructor if you can navigate them successfully. I usually work with Caballito del Caribe when I visit the island as they always visit the above sites but I honestly dont know if they offer any cenote diving.

(Please be aware that I am unashamedly plugging my own business below)

Seeing that you'll be on a family holiday, if you are visiting anytime between May and September, I would definitely recommend checking out the Whale Sharks which are just the other side of Isla Mujeres near Cancún. This is the largest aggregation of these sharks in the world - we counted more than 400 in one day in 2014. Please note that this is a snorkeling only trip (for ages 7 and up) as divers aren't allowed to purposely enter the water with these creatures.

For more info: http://cthulhudivers.com/swim-with-whale-sharks.html

Also, if you are willing to make the trip to Cancún, we also have the largest underwater museum (http://cthulhudivers.com/cuncun-underwater-museum.html) in the world as well as some of the healthiest reefs I've personally ever seen. I guarantee you'll see more animal life on one dive in Cancun than you'll see in a entire day of diving in Cozumel.