1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maverick Dry Suit

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by kingo1984, Jun 16, 2019.

1. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

Recently bought this suit from gumtree... bloke said he paid £750 for it 18 months ago with the undersuit! I also bought a few other bits from him as follows....

Maverick dry suit
    Beaver undersuit with boots
    Carry bag for undersuit
    Scuba pro T one
    A clamp
    Magic mask
    2 x regulators
    Tusa liberator x fins
    Typhoon gloves
    Typhoon balaclava (thingy) not sure on name

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this suit? Cant find much information online about them. As I am nee to the hobby I kinda put my faith in the seller. I paid in total £390 for everything listed. If there is any info you can give me on the above items I will appreciate it. Im hoping I got a pretty good deal. Thanks in advance [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JohnL likes this.
  2. John F

John F Active Member

Hi Kingo,
    I would say you have done ok there. Would be best to have the regs serviced, as you don’t know the history of them, but they are good regs, as is the BCD. I don’t know the suit but as long as it fits well and stays dry it’s good. How warm you stay will be down to the undersuit, so you will need to try it and see if your warm enough, other then that it looks like a perfectly good collection of gear.
    John.

3. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

If the suit fits and doesn’t leak, and nothing is buggered, then all in I don’t think that’s a terrible deal at all.

4. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

The suit is off too a local dive shop for a pressure test and a new latex seal on one of the arms. All the other gear I will test when I visit the pool thursday. Thanks

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Only two critical things for a drysuit: fit and dry. Drysuits cost from £400 to £2000+ new. Cheap is fantastic for starting out.

To test fit, you need to put on the undersuit and drysuit and be able to stretch up (superman) and crouch into a ball. A little slack is OK, too much can be a pain as gas will migrate to the space.

There's no pockets on it so you'll be relying on your BCD to stash and attach things.

It's definitely a good idea to get the regs serviced. The A-clamp means you'll need an adapter in the UK where we (mostly) use DIN cylinders. These are cheap.

Good deal:)

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Re. pockets, I have sometimes used a single zip up pocket that just threads onto my harness belt - this is fine for the limited amount of stuff you’ll need to carry initially.

If you want to add pockets, then these can be bought individually and glued on yourself, or retrofitted professionally cheaply enough.

Re. the A clamp adapter, these are just a screw-in insert for a cylinder valve which convert from DIN to A clamp.

I have a couple sitting in my toolbox that came with cylinders. You can have one FOC if you send me your details.

Chimpus and kingo1984 like this.
  7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hate to burst the bubble a bit, but .................

BC - £60
    Regs - £100
    Mask, Fins, hood etc. £30
    Suit £150

This is all low-end entry level stuff which means it could well be ex-school, either that or the guy just
    bought the cheapest possible. Suit looks clean, but it's older than it looks, that's an old valve.

If the suit fits keep it, same for the BC. but put the regs on ebay for £100 and buy a set of ATX 40's for not
    much more off the same. You'll be spending around £80 maybe more on a service, so spend that on a decent
    reg, not a basic one. Best bit about the regs is the gauge :)

Fins are planks, sell those as well and get something with a bit of flex like a Mares Avanti3 or Quattro.
    Fins sell better on local FB sell sites as postage kills sales.

8. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

The first stage of the regs, Scubapro MkII is literally indestructible (if kept serviced). Honestly, after the apocalypse my shed will be exploded O2 cylinders, melted plastic and a pristine set of MkIIs left resting, glimmering on top.

Shame it is yoke / A-clamp though. I would convert that immediately!

(MkIIs make good twinset regs because the hose routing works well. Not so good for singles when they are a bit like a spider).

The second stages are not very exciting. (Not awful, just cheap).

9. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

Thats some good news I suppose. Although all this kit needs a service. Im heading to the local dive school next week, hopefully it all holds up well.

10. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

Hopefully it all works well enough. Thats my main concern right now