1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mask Missery

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by joe90, Apr 4, 2018.

1. joe90

joe90 Member

Righto,

So I'm currently using an Aqualung Look dive mask, which never gave me too much grief. Stick it on my face and inhale, its vacuum tight.

As of late I find when I look hard down either side of my body to check gauges, or even just at a funny angle it starts to flood. Most annoying! I don't have it overly tight, so I'm not bending the skirt.

Some people refer to me as Mr Grumpy, in account of my frown lines which may or may not of recently become more prominent due to me being a miserable twat.

Has anybody else had a mask that after maybe three years just starts to leak to piss you off? Like it has seen through the initial new kit romance and decided your a prick after all...

Cheers

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Have you scared it into leaking? Wonder if it's lost some elasticity or maybe gone out of shape over the years

But probably the frowning!

3. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I have a beaver mask which is effectively clipped together (the lenses can be replaced). Sometimes the frame pops off and it needs some massaging back together...

4. joe90

joe90 Member

Mine also has changeable lenses but it seems to be together okay. Maybe the rubber is getting tired as you say.

I had a two and a bit hour dive on Tuesday removing some hanging nets off a reef, must of spent half that time clearing my mask.

I'm back in the water Friday and Saturday so am on the beg and borrow off friends to see if I can find a better fit.
    I've also decided to have a shave first and try to be happy....hmmm.

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Shaving will probably help. My eldest look mask is about 30 years old and manages not to leak during pool training (it was retired from active diving duty due to being pink, replaced with Uber cool black). Cheer up and shave.

jps and Alex Denny like this.
  6. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

I have an odd face, or at least I've never found a mask that totally fits. Currently I use a Hollis M1 which fits well, but if I stretch my face a bit too much, or if someone makes me laugh, it does let a bit of water in. I still have plans for future training, but whilst I'm diving purely open circuit, it isn't really much of an issue.
    My point is, masks never fit quite as well as we need them to, and yeah, if your face has changed shape a little then what was the best fitting mask when you bought it may no longer be the best option - having said that, I wouldn't advise going out tomorrow and buying a new one. Try shaving, avoid frowning underwater, and lightly lubricating the seal of the mask with vaseline (don't worry it won't harm the silicone) and you might get a little bit less water ingress.
    Spend all your life searching for the perfect mask, but you won't find it.

7. joe90

joe90 Member

Yesterday me and a couple mates had a nice dive, I took an array of masks and switched about quite a bit.

Today I dived again, awful viz for the area but we did get to swim with six whale sharks on the way back to the marina so not all bad.

I discovered that after a trim at barbers and an evaluation of when it leaks the problem proved to be my own fault. I was inadvertently exhaling through my nose at times when I was face down or at a funny angle. This broke the seal, and allowed water to trickle in.
    After paying more attention to breathing whilst doing things the problem disappeared. So I can keep the mask I like after all.

Happy Days and cheers for the feedback all

pgarrish likes this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Memories of a dive on the Rondo a couple of years ago. Went into a steeply sloping shaft with a twinset and overbalanced, ending up vertically head down. No issues as buoyancy all in check, just the trim completely out. I'd not shaved for a few days so the tash fur broke the seal of the mask which is now upside down, so it started to fill from the top. Being in that shaft, I couldn't turn the right way up, so popped a little bit of gas in the wing and ascended out of the shaft and flipped myself over, so could finally clear the mask.

Love the Rondo.

9. joe90

joe90 Member

That's pretty much what was happening to me. Tash and inverted equals leak.