1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manschett (??) Cuffs/Wrist Seals

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Tribal Chestnut, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Anyone have any experience of these?

They were suggested today as a possible alternative to dry gloves to solve my daughter’s wrist/cuff problems and keep her forearms dry.

They have a larger contact patch than standard seals - apparently on the region of 2.5” or so.

I’m tempted just to get dry gloves, but am going to consider all options.

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've not tried the manchette seals, but assuming she has the standard conical shaped ones, they should work better, as might bottle seals. Like you say, a longer contact area. How about silicone? I've found them better than latex or neo seals for keeping my wrists dry. I get a pronounced groove on my wrist when I flex my hands.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I used to have these on my first DUI suit. I mainly wanted them to extend the sleeve as the previous owner had cut an inch of sleeeve off when changing seals in the past.

Yes, could potentially fix her issues

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  4. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Thanks guys

I’ve gone for an extended neo cuff, which will be snug but not overly tight so her lower forearms will get a little wet, but then a tighter latex seal further up the arm where it is fleshier.

Should have her it back week after next so she can dive it before Malta at the end of the month.

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Where are you going in Malta? I went to a dive centre next to the Gozo ferry - the topography of the limestone bottom was stunning with lots of swim-throughs, not many fish though. Of which, if you like fish, the Bouquet Garni in Mellieha is the best - if the octopus had been any fresher, it would have still been moving! It's not cheap for Malta and booking is essential.