1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malta

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Stuartlamberth, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Stuartlamberth

Stuartlamberth Active Member

Looking at going Malta next year. It won't be a diving holiday but while weover there I'm going to try and get a couple of dives in. I'll be going with my girlfriend who also dives so should be good fun
    Where would people recommend. Stay, dive, rough idea on costs

2. Chimpus

Chimpus New Member

Dived in Malta last year, August/September. Stayed in a village called Mellieha at the north end of the island and did half a dozen dives with a dive company called Seashell. Lovely, friendly bunch of people. Water lovely; warm with fantastic visibility. We did four shore dives and two boat dives. Wreck of the P31 of island of Comino was a real treat (was first ever wreck dive for us) as were diving the Santa Marija caves. Most towns & villages have an annual festival or festa; lots of celebrations going on. Mellieha village has a week long festa around the beginning of September, with all sorts of celebrations happening during the week; marching street bands, musical concerts in village square, fireworks, singing, dancing... great atmosphere and was all a great hoot.

We went for a budget hotel, half board. Cost was ok, can't recall exact figures though.

Decided that we would head back there next year, but staying on island of Gozo rather than Malta.

3. Stuartlamberth

Good advice there
    Thank you

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Malta is so small it doesn't matter where you stay as far as diving is concerned. You're better off choosing a location based on what you want out of the rest of the holiday.
    Sandy beach your thing; Mellehia.
    Nightlife; Paceville or St Julian's.
    Low cost; Buggiba, Qwara, St. Pauls
    Reet posh; Sliema
    Historic; Valetta

Good diving outfits; Maltaqua, Divewise, New Dimension Scuba all well regarded by folks on here.

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Stuart, what temperature was it when you went? Once it gets above 30, my wife and I go into meltdown.

6. Stuartlamberth

I've not been yet, I'm looking at going next year

7. Doomanic

Staff Member

I've been in May, July and October. October was the most comfortable and early July was a little to "spring" for a full on summer holiday.

8. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

I'd recommend Divewise in St Julian's or Go Dive in Mellehia. The area around St Julian's gets very noisy at night and isn't suitable for families. There a tons of good Dive sites at 18m or less. My favourite dives at that kind of depth would probably be the Comino caves and P31.

9. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

What's the dive costs like ? Shore vs boat?? Hire or take own gear?

10. Doomanic

Staff Member

Depends what diving you want to do. IME, the cost is higher than Egypt but lower than the Canaries. It's mostly shore diving but boat diving is also possible for the deeper wrecks. I'd hire if it was one day diving, but I'd still take regs, mask and computer. All my own gear for anything more

11. Kufdam

Kufdam New Member

Hi. New to forum but not Malta. Dived Malta every year since getting ticket there 5 years ago. Like the previous post mentioned stay anywhere and travel by bus. I use Dive Malta in St Julian's. Weeks diving will be in region of 300 euro. Plenty of choice there. My favourites are faroud at 36 metres (tanker) or comino for p31. Shallow dive and good day out. Most diving by shore. As for places to stay I like Fortina in Silema or Cavielerri in St Julian's. Spent three weeks there in summer and am away there again in two weeks. Brilliant place, good diving. You'll love it.

Attached Files:

CasualRob, Wibble and Stuartlamberth like this.
  12. Stuartlamberth

By the sounds of things think I need to be doing my advanced before going?

13. Doomanic

Staff Member

Or do it there.

Chimpus likes this.
  14. Stuartlamberth

Didn't think of that

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice trim!

Welcome to the forum

Kufdam and Stuartlamberth like this.
  16. Snapper5

Snapper5 Member

We've dived many times with Ocean Mysteries based in Mellieha. They'll do hotel pick up from area hotels and give you friendly personal diving. I see many of the other outfits try and get divers in the water, do the dive and ship them out again as fast as possible. Ocean Mysteries don't do that.

CasualRob and Stuartlamberth like this.
  17. snowman

snowman Active Member

I dived with Bezz Diving in Mellieha when I was there last Summer.

They seemed OK to me, but mostly I just followed the guide as it was a couple of days diving within a family holiday.

I watched them with some trainees one day and they seemed thorough and patient.

We did a couple of dives on the Um El Faroud and then a couple at Cirkewwa.

M

CasualRob and Stuartlamberth like this.
  18. speed098

speed098 Member

Just got back from Malta ( stayed 9-19th of October ) and stayed in Mellieha, temp during the day was average 27-28 and evening around 23 degrees. Water temp at surface was 26-28 and at 18m about 21-23 degrees.

Boat dives if staying around Mellieha are about 10 Euros extra for north of the island, 15 Euros for south of the island and about 20 Euros for Gozo. These prices are per dive.

Warm enough for a 2-2.5mm shorty, the coldest water was in the hotels swimming pool.

19. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

How do you mean by extra per location? What's the flat rate?

20. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Malta seems very reasonable compared with other foreign parts I've dived in. With 10 others, I got a 10 boat-dive package for £200 including transport from hotel to dive centre return. This didn't include kit beyond tin/weights and I paid around Euro 50 for shortie/bcd/regs and a Euro 56 surcharge for eight tins of Nitrox. We were diving just next to the Gozo ferry with no dive site more than 10 minutes away. Mellieha is a few miles south, so trips would be longer - it does have a lot of places to eat including a fabulous fish restaurant where we went on our last night.