1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malta week

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by JohnL, Sep 24, 2017.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I went last week to Paradise diving with a group from the Basildon film studio pool. Professional centre with friendly staff right on a beach close to the Gozo ferry with a short walk to their jetty and onto good dive boats.
    Day 1 - Asked us whether we had a problem with overhead environments; I said I wasn't that keen. First dive had a dog-leg swim through and the second lots of swim throughs and I found that I quite liked them. 21/22m
    Day 2 - Scott Craig - small wreck at 20m that we went around, over and through followed by Lantern Point on Comino where we dropped onto the reef and swam to a 10m deep hole that led to a horizontal swim-through then descending to 30m where there was a statue of the Madonna to see. There was a reason why we did the shallow dive first, can't remember what.
    Day 3 - blown off
    Day 4 - Comineto Reef, gradual descent down a wall to a WWII anchor at 35m, then carrying on climbing back up. Then returning along the top of the wall at about 15m, with wonderful views down to the bottom 20m below. Then, P31 wreck, a patrol boat that had reached the end of its life with the navy at 20m. Around, in and out until the second swim through when I found myself stuck (hooked inflation hose round pipe). I knew that there was someone behind me so I waited until he sorted me out (much mirth on return to shore).
    Day 5 Fesses Rock, Gozo. 50TH DIVE :p Free-standing rock that we dropped down one side to 20m then swam around dropping to 37m (the limit of my Nitrox) and then multi-level upwards. Lucky to see a school of barracuda from a distance (not many fish in Malta). Finally, La Harax, a pleasant 22m dive through sea-grass and interesting topography. Surfaced at the end in the middle of the island, created by a collapsed cave.

I dived with two others with less dives and we surfaced each day with similar pressure - the difference being that I was with a 12l, they with 15l. My sac ranged from 18 to 15 that I'm pretty happy with. Our guide, Martin, was an experienced instructor with a great sense of humour and a party trick of creating air rings while on safety stops that, bizarrely, go downwards. I dived in a 5mm shortie and was warm enough in 26-28 degrees except one day when I shivered on the return to shore (as did others with more protection). Visibility was always in excess of 15m. The Basildon group were great company with merciless teasing, especially to the guy who had lugged his rebreather on the flight and hired cylinders at great cost. Lots of history on shore and good fish to eat. I'd like to return.

Chimpus, Cybes, Wibble and 5 others like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice read.

It's lovely to see how your diving and your confidence has improved over the past year.

3. snowman

snowman Active Member

Indeed it is - Nothing like practice to make progress.

M

4. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Thanks John. Good write up.