1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for an undersuit

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by MikeyH, Sep 10, 2016.

1. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Winter is around the corner and as per last year I plan to dive all winter. I am currently using a mix of polartec 100 and base layers and a fleece onesie - a real mix of bits and bobs from lomo, go outdoors and Cotswold :) under a typhoon tri-lam.

I would like to get a new undersuit and have been looking at the quark navy at £260, 4th Element Artic for around £200 and the OThree PBB range at £169.

Will any of these cover the temp range of about 6c to 18c (perhaps with an additional polartec base layer at the colder end)

I am obviously not keen on spending money unnecessarily so the kwark is probably not my first choice ( last time I checked with them last year they were £185 so prices have shot up this year). The OThree is clearly the apparently best value PBB+? Any opinions?

2. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

I've used the 4th Element Arctic at temperatures down to 6 degrees without an issue. My undersuit is 5 years old and still going strong although the booties need replacing.

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I thought the PBB stuff was designed to go under neo drysuits. I have Arctics and a Halo 3D. I use the Arctics in summer/autumn and the Halo in winter/spring under a tri-lam. The Arctics have seen better days, I ised to used them all year round, just adding a base layer in winter but they're a bit flat now. The Halo is like a sauna.
    I like look of the Kwark Navy but I'd want to try one before spending that sort of money on yet another undersuit.

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Doom - good point on the O Three -scrub them then!

The Kwark kit - I will ring the importer as I have found 2 prices on the net - both higher than the Arctics - it may be Arctics then if an additional thin polartec 100 layer will make them fit-for-purpose at the colder temperatures - no issue with that. I use their socks and love them.

5. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've used the attics for years but recently switched to the Kwark & it beats the Fourth Element hands down in terms of warmth. It may not be as fashionable as the FE's but it's got lots of nice design features built in.

When I get time I'll write a review.

TG